Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cciurlizza Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2003, 12:54 PM
    Emulate a 14" display on a 17" monitor
    I have recently changed my old 14" computer monitor to a new ViewSonic 17" (16" display) monitor. I design websites and I want to be able to emulate the *actual size* and resolution of a 14" monitor at 800x600 in my new monitor, to see what the rest of the net surfers see when viewing my pages. Is there any setting or software that can accomplish this emulation?
    sclark Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2003, 06:33 PM
    Changing the size of the window is the easy part. Simply click on the outer edge of the window and resize to choice.

Simulating the lower resolutions is a tad more complex.
    Go to this link:
    http://www.dreamink.com/design6.shtml
    And bookmark the bookmarklets for re-rendering your window. Then, whenever you come across a page that you want to see in 800x600, select the bookmarklet from your favourites.
    cciurlizza Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2003, 07:16 PM
    Thanks for the answer. As a side note to this topic, and for future reference, what I did in the end to emulate the 14" display is very simple, the solution was right under my nose... Well in front of it. I just played with the h-size and v-size controls in the 17" monitor and reduced them so the display actually shows what a 14" monitor would show. That is exactly what I wanted to know, independent of the resolution used, because type in 800x600 in 17" looks a lot bigger than 800x600 in a 14" screen. It turns out my type was too small to read on a 14". Change made, problem solved, tip for the future.
    CF_Master Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2003, 12:01 AM
    If your using dreamweaver as your studio environment then at the bottom of the window in the status bar you will notice some info, maybe screen resolution size, whatever, just click on it and you'll get setting options that will pop up. Select screen resolution and you'll notice the window will resize itself, keep the window at this size to design for the selected resolution.

800x600 is the average standard now used but you have several options, you can recreate all your page templates for all the resolutions, create a resizing window using tables, use CSS advanced positioning or just make one page at 600x400 to make sure everyone can view your page.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor not working "No Signal" [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Daewoo HL710S LCD Monitor that is Plug & Play and DDC 1, 2B (whatever that means) It works fine with a Dell computer running Windows 2000 Professional. I am now trying to hook it up to a Compaq Evo (D51S) that has Windows XP Professional All I get is a “No Signal” message on the...

Background Display stuck in "Stretch" [ 6 Answers ]

My WindowsXP Background will not display in Center or Tile modes. The screen is white. I read that .htm documents are displayed in this way (Stretch only) but don't know what I did so that all images only display in Stretch mode. System Restore is no help.

Monitor keeps turning off until "warmed up" [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all. I'm having an annoying problem with my monitor. Whenever I boot up my computer and enter Windows XP my monitor will keep turning off an on for a minute or two until it is warmed up. It also does this when the computer wakes up from sleep mode. Sometimes it will turn off and I'll have to...

Monitor "standbying" after replacement of fans [ 6 Answers ]

This problem has been solved - solution at the bottom. My PC: Windows XP Home AMD 64 3000+ 1 GB RAM NVIDIA 6800 LE 128 MB Asus K8N motherboard - and I never clock ---------------

Can not open "Display" item on Control Panel HELP ! [ 2 Answers ]

When trying to open the "display" applet inside Control Panel I get a message stating that the system administrator has disabled the miniapp "video" on control panel. I am the administrator om my Windows XP computer and did not do this. Can anyone help me plesae ? Thanks : Mauro

View more questions Search