Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Charliesmomma Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2009, 09:28 AM
    Keep young adults safe from a potentially dangerous person
    Hello,

My 21-year-old son and his girlfriend moved to Las Vegas early this year to finish school at University of Nevada Las Vegas. They have been doing great until recently, when the girlfriend accepted a position as Personal Assistant for this 45-year-old man (presumably very wealthy and very interesting). There are a couple of other "characters" in this situation, possibly to help him appear more legitimate: a 23-year-old wife and a woman who was his girlfriend, and has been in business with him for about 10 years.

The man has no specific job. The kids tell me he is an entrepreneur, and has done many fascinating things to amass his fortune including writing a book, creating a yellow pages directory for gays and lesbians in UT, playing poker, etc.

Long story short, the new employer seems very manipulative and controlling of both my son and his girlfriend, to the point where he has convinced them to push back the dates they had planned to come home for a visit (East Coast.)

I am very afraid that this man is trouble, and that he is seducing them before getting them into something dangerous. The "kids" feel I'm just being overprotective, but the info I know about this man isn't adding up to anything good. HOW do I help my son and his girlfriend realize how bad this guy is, and save them before they get hurt?? Please help!

Thank you!
    Charliesmomma
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 3, 2009, 10:30 AM

You say that you have information. Have you shown this to your son and his girlfriend?

You could hire a private investigator to check up on this man, make sure that he's legitimate.

In the end you can't really make them listen, they're adults, but you can show them why you're afraid.

Sep 3, 2009, 10:38 AM

Thank you Altenweg,

Unfortunately, the information I have is just heresay and they do not believe me because it is from a former business competitor. I'm going to keep digging though, and hopefully find something concrete on this guy. I'm just so afraid that time is not on my side...

Charliesmomma
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 3, 2009, 10:48 AM

I understand your concern. I really do.

The best you can do is try to find solid evidence.

Don't lose contact with them, email, phone, text, make sure you
    Know what's going on.

Get all the information you can.

I wish there was more that you can do. Maybe someone else has some ideas. :)
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2009, 10:50 AM

A good con artist can manipulate even the most street wise people.
    Shady characters abound in certain environments and I suspect Vegas is a hot spot for many of them.

If you can't prove anything,all you can do it tell them that your instincts have proved reliable in the past and they need to be on their guard.

Tell them that you know a little more about life and people than they do and encourage them to stay on their toes.

There are some on line sites where you can access criminal records but they do have a fee and I can't verify their results.

Keep pounding it into their head to be wary of this guy.

They may appear not to be listening but chances are you are getting through,at least to the extent that they may be cautious.

If he has written a book,I would Google his name,you never know what you might find.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2009, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliesmomma View Post
    I'm going to keep digging though, and hopefully find something concrete on this guy. I'm just so afraid that time is not on my side...HOW do I help my son and his girlfriend realize how bad this guy is, and save them before they get hurt???
    Hello momma:

If this guy is as bad as you say, I'm sure the report you're going to turn over to your kids, by the private investigator you're going to hire, that PROVES he's as bad as you THINK he is, WILL convince them...

Actually time IS on your side. You can hire somebody TODAY and find out stuff TOMORROW. Isn't that quick enough?? This IS an emergency, no?? Their welfare IS on the line, no? This IS worth you spending your hard earned money on, no??

If it isn't, then you're just a busybody looking to start some trouble.

excon

Sep 3, 2009, 11:56 AM
    Thank you all for your responses.

Ex-con, any recommendations on finding the best PI for the job? Do I hire someone out in LV? I've never had to do this before...

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions!
    Charliesmomma
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2009, 12:00 PM
    Hello again, momma:

Google private investigator Las Vegas and about 4,430,000 of 'em will jump up. Shop well.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A great book for young adults [ 16 Answers ]

I'm looking for a great book for young adults with no fantasy.

When is it safe to bring young puppies around other dogs ? [ 19 Answers ]

When is it safe to bring young puppies around other dogs? I have 5, 7 week old puppies they have had their first shots by a vet. But I want to make sure before we go out that they are not in any danger of contracting any diseases.

Complicated and potentially dangerous roommate [ 7 Answers ]

If I have a roommate that is potentially very dangerous to himself and others around him what can I do about it besides moving out? Moving out will most likely be the immediate solution but I am very concerned for anyone that he comes in contact with. I'm very worried that this kid will go on a...

View more questions Search