Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chulau007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 03:49 AM
    What is better to use 110V or 220V?
    What is better to use 110V or 220V?
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 21, 2006, 07:10 AM
    If I had a choice I would first consider my supply. 110V is common for any house hold receptacle so I would chose 110V (if the electrical device operated at both voltages). Dual voltages like that usually mean that that they are European compatible. I believe Europe uses 220V as a common household receptacle.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2006, 02:27 PM
    Assuming a load, (motor, light, etc) is the same wattage and can take either voltage, the advantage of using a higher supply voltage will decrease the circuit amperage.

So, for example, if a 5000 watt load is connected at 110 volts, the amps will be ~45 amps, at 220 volts, (double) , the load amps will be half, or about 22.5 amps.

This will allow the circuit to be wired with smaller wire, and save on material and labor costs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

110v vs 220v Applicances [ 8 Answers ]

I am redoing a house, and am replacing many appliances (water heater, room air conditioner, mini oven/stove). For each of these, I have the choice of either choosing 110v or 220v applicances. I've always wanted to know: - Is there an advantage to installing 220v appliances. - Is it cheaper...

220v to 110v [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing an electric stovetop. The one I removed had 4 wires.. red, black,white, and bare copper. The new one has 3.. black, red, and bare.. from what I have read here, the old system is a 220v/110v system... I assume that I hook up red to red, black to black, bare to ground. How...

Rewiring 220V coffee maker to 110V [ 4 Answers ]

I want to buy a vintage European coffeemaker with a heating element (220V 50hz) and do whatever is necessary to get it to plug safely into a standard two-prong or three-prong wall outlet here in the USA. I've read some answers here about converting a 220V appliance to 110V, but the answers...

220v to 110v [ 2 Answers ]

How do I wire a 220v circuit to accept a 110v plug and play spa?

Is 220V better than 110V? [ 5 Answers ]

My pool pump is running at 110V. I noticed that I can change the wiring position and run it at 220V. Someone at work mentioned that 220V is more efficient. Would I see a savings on the electric bill? Is this true? The wires now are 12 gauge. Could I just change the breaker and the...

View more questions Search