Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jul 26, 2011, 05:14 PM
    Help with basement drain install
    My furnace has a pump that collects condensation from the furnace and sends it to the same place as my washing machine water (which happens to be another pump). I'd like to get rid of the mini pump attached to the furnace by installing a floor drain and letting gravity do the work.

The only place below the slab for the drain to attach to is my sump pump pit. Next week I am ripping up part of the slab to install an interior French drain so I figure this would be a good time to install the drain by the furnace. I know how to install the drain and that I need a p-trap and proper pitch. But is it okay that I connect it to the sealed sump pump pit using non-perforated pvc?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 26, 2011, 05:49 PM

Yes, you would use regular PVC pipe. Not really necessary to have a trap although one won't hurt. Traps are to prevent sewer gasses. You are emptying into the sump pump pit and not into the sewer line.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jul 26, 2011, 06:09 PM

The reason I was thinking of a trap is because of radon. When I bought the house the basement radon reading was just below 4 units and I was told that 4 units was the action level for a basement. There is a possibility that I might have a pro install a radon mitigation system that taps into the weeping tile of my drainage system. From what I understand this would require a sealed sump pump basin (which I already have). I figured that if the basin needs to be sealed then the water in a p-trap would would help to keep the radon back... however, I could be wrong.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 05:06 AM

I see your logic. Don't know much about radon abatement but thought that a sealed top for the sump crock was used and vented to the exterior if radon gas is found. That simple.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to know how to create a floor drain in the basement to I can install a shower [ 1 Answers ]

This is a solid cement floor, I need to know how to create a drain for a shower I want to build.

How do I install a Basement Shower Drain? [ 5 Answers ]

We just recently poured a new concrete floor down in our basement and left a pvc pipe that is about 4 inches tall sticking out of the concrete in place to where the basement shower drain will go. Our shower pan is 4 ft by 4ft and we are wondering how to install a basement shower drain over a...

How to install a new drain/flange for a shower in a concrete basement floor [ 3 Answers ]

I have an unfinished basement that I am building a bathroom in. The floor in the basement is concrete, however the builder did install the PVC pipes in the cement floor so that the bathroom & plumbing is ready to be finishied. My question deals with how to install the shower draain so that it...

Trying to Install a basement stand up shower drain, need assistance? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Just got a question, I am attempting to install my stand up shower(MAXX), drain, I have a 2" PVC pipe coming out from the basment concrete floor. When I put the drain on to the base of the shower and lay it on the desired location it dosen't sit flat because of the bottom part of the drain...

Basement Drain is positioned for a bathtub, we want to install a shower [ 1 Answers ]

We are in the process of developing our basement. The floor plan that was used by the builder called for a bathtub in the bathroom, so the drain pipe is positioned for a bathtub. We want to install a shower, but the drain hole does not line-up. It is off by about 2 feet. Is there any simple...

View more questions Search