Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wist coach Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 05:00 AM
    Commercial late on rent
    Hey Guys, back to ask a question. Divorce finally over and moving on. Parents business is in trouble, been on a month to month rent base by landlord. Lease ran out in February. Landlord let them stay month to month. Things got bad and they are late on payment for the month now. Does the landlord go through proper channels for eviction or do they have 30 days to vacate? They put about 100k in this guys building. By the way. He won't work with them. Thanks Jimmy
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 13, 2009, 06:18 AM

If they are on a month to month, either can terminate the lease on one rental period's notice. The landlord can also follow the normal process for eviction due to non payment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 11:44 AM

Without a lease they can merely give them notice to move. But if they are late paying rent they can also just be evicted

Jun 19, 2009, 01:37 PM
    Landlord changed locks
    Hey guys, back business to business again. Parents were moving personal items and business things out of the building, been in for 9 years. Lease was month to month and they got behind now almost 2 months. Agreement by landlord verbal to me to be out by July 1st and letter from him not attorney saying that to be out by July 1st. He changed the locks today and they are not finished moving. Have not received a letter from the court or anything. What can I do for them? Please help.

Jun 19, 2009, 02:26 PM

First you have to check the lease. While commercial leases are different from residential, the landlord may have committed an illegal eviction and opened himself up to a lawsuit.

Jun 19, 2009, 03:09 PM
    Thanks Scott, lease ran out six months ago and they were month to month.

Jun 19, 2009, 03:18 PM

Doesn't matter. The terms of the orignal lease, except for rental and term remain in effect. So you need to check what the lease says about default.

Jul 5, 2009, 04:55 AM
    Landlord changed locks, selling business and personal items
    Hey guys, as we talked few weeks back. Landlord is by word selling my business items and personal things out of the business. Now since we never received a eviction notice or any paperwork for the business to vacate. Only a letter from the landlord to leave by July 1st. Well he changed the locks on June 19th and not heard a word since. A new business has been moving in since the 19th and I have been told that the new owner is selling the business things. Do I have a serious suit here due to the selling of items.? Thanks, Jimmy Oyeah we were late one month on rent and ask him to work with us, didn't happen.

Jul 5, 2009, 05:03 AM

First, please do not start multiple threads over the same issue. I've merged your threads for you. Any further follow-up should be made to the same thread.

Second, you were advised two weeks ago to read the lease to determine what it says about default. Did you do that?

You were also advised at that time, that your parents might have a case for illegal eviction. Did you act on that?

Yes, the landlord may be liable for selling off items. But you have to DO something about it besides asking for advice here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commercial Lease has us Rent Poor in this economy. What is at stake? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Day Spa in California. Since November 2008, I have been only able to pay partial rent each month due to the decline in our sales and our Business Line of Credit being suspended. Since the fall of 2008, we have been diligent every couple of weeks, asking the landlord and property manager...

My sublease is not paying commercial prop rent in FL [ 1 Answers ]

I lease a commercial office in FL when I started a business. I have since sold my business and the landlord would only accept a sublease from the person buying my business. At the time I still had 4 yrs left on the lease. I have recently found out that the new business owner(my sublet) has not...

Commercial building for rent [ 1 Answers ]

How would I rent an commercial building besides a rent sign or realtor? 5000 square feet

Commercial lease - being sued for old rent [ 9 Answers ]

I will try to keep this very short. My wife's Michigan business recently closed and moved out of the facility - with proper notice to LL. She was off-lease - it had expired months before so it was a month-to-month arrangement. BTW, the business is incorporated. Several months after closing we...

Late rent [ 2 Answers ]

Is it the law for a landlord to provide you with a grace period.. if so howl ong is it

View more questions Search