Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wist coach Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 06:07 PM
    Divorce still not over after 1 year 3 months
    It seems the attorneys are sitting around and waiting. Mediation was was done in April and most things were settled. We have been nitpicking for months and months. I have actually had to work out things with my ex over the final issues. These things had been passed over for the attorneys to write up for final. Nothing has happened. Now I am being told to prepare for trial. I feel we are being used for money and I am into $4000.00 now for just me. I do not have the funds for a trial. Any help would be appreciated
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wist coach
    It seems the attorneys are sitting around and waiting. Mediation was was done in April and most things were settled. We have been nitpicking for months and months. I have actually had to work out things with my ex over the final issues. These things had been passed over for the attorneys to write up for final. Nothing has happened. Now I am being told to prepare for trial. I feel we are being used for money and I am into $4000.00 now for just me. I do not have the funds for a trial. Any help would be appreciated

If you are in agreement, why are you going to trial?

What are the issues in dispute? You can at any time accept the other side's offer and walk away from a trial.

I'm a little confused because your other thread said you already went through a divorce - has it been set aside or reopened?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 06:23 PM
    So if you both agree, you have one of the attorneys write up the agreement and the other signs it, if you are going to trial, that means one ofyou are still not agreeing to something.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 07:09 PM
    The question I have is.. who hasn't paid their lawyer in full yet ? Some lawyers will drag things out until they get paid. Also what state are you in ? Some states require you to have a trial inorder to get a divorce.

Aug 25, 2008, 07:33 PM
    My attorney has been paid in full> we seem to not be able to get her attorney to answer or reply in a timely manner. The house was the only problem with a final agreement. We both by email agreed upon a percentage when the house sells. The state is Georgia. Yes you do go to trial for final but only one person has to attend if everything is agreed upon. Yes 1year and 6 months separated. Long and drawn out, yes it should have been finished and yes to Judykaytee, it has caused major problems with my business. Small town with huge family name on both sides. Her attorney is one of the highest to be paid, he is very expensive.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 08:18 PM
    No in the state of GA you don't even have to set foot in the court house,
    The lawyer files the divorce paper work, the judge signs it and in 30 days you are divorced, I was divorced in GA before and it is so simple and easy if you both agree.

Aug 26, 2008, 05:38 AM
    So basiclally if all contested material or papers are agree upon, this could be over with. Are being taken for a new car ride? Thank you
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wist coach
    My attorney has been paid in full> we seem to not be able to get her attorney to answer or reply in a timely manner. The house was the only problem with a final agreement. We both by email agreed upon a percentage when the house sells. The state is Georgia. Yes you do go to trial for final but only one person has to attend if everything is agreed upon. Yes 1year and 6 months separated. Long and drawn out, yes it should have been finished and yes to Judykaytee, it has caused major problems with my business. Small town with huge family name on both sides. Her attorney is one of the highest to be paid, he is very expensive.

Why would you go trial if you both agree - something is incorrect here. I looked at Georgia law and this does not seem to be correct.

(I'm not talking about a hearing; I'm talking about a trial.)

You can't hold a trial with only one person - ! Slow legal responses are a whole other issue.

Aug 28, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Yes I know that this is confusing. Im confused. My attorney has not received anything from my ex and her attorney for some time. The court date we had for finishing was canceled by her attorney due next month. Im lost. I think he is playing games with her also or just getting a lot of money. He is known to be a big price. I have text and email from her on things that were held up for final decisions. The house percentage has been decided by her and I. What can I do. Thanks, Jimmy
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Short of getting another attorney now, nothing except keep at your attorney to settle this and be divorced now. If you two agree, then advise the attorneys in writing you both agree and want this to end now. Apparently her attorney likes to milk cases and get rich from it. Taking longer is not necessarily a better attorney, just a richer attorney. One family law attorney I worked for in Florida years ago had a divorce go on for well over 2 years as the rich married people could not agree on the time of day, let alone anything else and it was like pulling teeth to get anywhere. They did have a big, messy trial though. Your case sounds just the opposite.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex girlfriend (3 year relationship) wants to see me after 4 months. What should I do? [ 31 Answers ]

All threads merged I'll try to be as brief as possible. One of my sister's friends had always liked me, and after a few years of knowing she had a crush on me, I caved in and asked her out on a date. She was 16 (almost 17) and I was almost 20. After our first 2 dates, I went back to college...

We adopted a child-after 3 months- she filed for divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I really need some input here... so Im going to shorten a very long story.. I was married for 10 years,my wife wanted a baby ,but after doing everything that we could{ doctors etc } we knew that she could not have childern .So we chose to adopt,after several months and completely spending...

Is a Happy New Year text OK after 3 months of NC? [ 5 Answers ]

I am thinking of sending my ex a Happy New Year text tomorrow night.We are split up 3 months and I have been in total NC.Does it seem a good idea or am I going to set myself back in the healing process? What if she is hoping I send her a text and I don't? Any opinions would be very welcome

How do I divorce my husband of 10 months and we have a little one [ 2 Answers ]

I want to divorce my husband because we always fight and he is on drugs. He doesn't work.He has never provided for us He doesn't care about the child.. how can I prove he is unfit. I want full costody of my child and a divorce.I don't want nothing from him, just my child.. We have never lived...

My 14 Year-Old Daughter is 5 Months Pregnant [ 20 Answers ]

Of course my heart is broken, however, I love my daughter more than words can express and she is pregnant. My daughter is 14 and her boyfriend is 16. I'm not interested in pursing action regarding the age of the boy, but is it illegal for a 16 Year-Old boy to have sex with a 14 Year-Old girl? ...

View more questions Search