Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AJKT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Auto Generating Sequential Numbers in Excel 2003
    Hello All
    I would like to have sequential Auto Generated Numbers in column A of my Excel 2003 Spreadsheets e.g A1=1, A2=2, A3=3 etc. But I would like Excel to auto generate this number, rather than input?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Apr 27, 2008, 11:08 PM
    Enter the value 1 in cell A1

enter the formula =A1+1 in cell A2

Copy cell A2 to A3:A100 and the numbers will populate.
    mdosh01 Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Apr 28, 2008, 04:21 PM
    Alternatively, Enter the value "1" in cell A1.

Then select Edit, Fill, Series from the menu. Change "Series In" to "Columns". Enter a stop value, say "100".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sequential numbering in Excel [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to number a column in sequential order by counting the number of times a certain word is typed in another range. For example: AAA 1 BBB 1 AAA 2 AAA 3 CCC 1 I need the numbers to be in sequence in column B:B every time a word is typed multiple times in column A:A.

MS Excel spreadsheet changing numbers [ 4 Answers ]

I have a spreadsheet where I enter credit card numbers, 16 digits. One note, I have the field setup as a custom format, that displays in the custom format as ####-####-####-####. This way it automatically adds the 4 dashes. For some reason, it always changes the last digit to zero. For...

Excel: Convert numbers to date [ 4 Answers ]

I'm using excel 07 and I have a cell containing the number 11291997 which represents 11/29/1997. How can I convert this to a date format. The 11291197 is number formatted. Any suggestions would help, thanks!

Auto-Macro in Excel [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a lot of macros built-in Excel, but when I want to update the certain data , I have to run them individually each time. Do you know anyway I can auto-run these macros? Thanks for any help.

Padding numbers in excel [ 2 Answers ]

I have about 500,000 cells on a spreadsheet that all follow a letter and number pattern. There are two patterns that look like this: y124f07 and h67g02. So the first is: Letter, number, number, number, letter, number, number The second is: Letter, number, number, letter, number, number

View more questions Search