Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lucytwo2 Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

May 15, 2009, 02:44 PM
    New Windows
    Can someone tell me the difference between new construction windows and replacement windows? What do you measure for replacement windows?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 09:58 PM

New windows comes with a nailing flange to set the window from the outside.

Replacement windows usually set inside the old window jamb.

Here's some vids to look at the options

YouTube - Window Replacement Part 1
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

May 17, 2009, 01:51 AM
    If you want to tear the old aluminum ones out, here's a video showing the tool you use to remove the old aluminum frame:

YouTube - Aluminum window frame remover - "X-Tractor"
    glassdoc Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Jul 10, 2009, 02:37 PM

New construction windows have standard sizes. Replacement windows are typically ordered to custom sizes. New construction are cheaper for this reason. Measure the window on the outside of the house, order windows 1/4 inch smaller. If you are planning to replace with vinyl windows, and if you can find new construction 1/4 inch smaller than your existing windows, you can score the nailing fin a few times on each side with a utility knife and break the nailing fin off.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Jul 10, 2009, 03:52 PM
    I've also seen people just nail the old flange (fin) to the exterior of the siding and frame around it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to insert Windows 98 in domain under windows 2000 server [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I would need information how can I insert a PC running on it Windows 98 in a domain? On my server is running windows 2000. Thank You in advance.

Email sending prob. In windows vista using windows mail [ 1 Answers ]

I am having problem in sending emails in windows mail in vista. Up to yesterday, it was working fine. I have deleted and created the account again. Email address,pwd, pop n smtp etc everything is correct but email are not going. There is genuine windows vista with Mecafee. No problem with incoming...

Will windows 2002 work with windows 2003? [ 3 Answers ]

I am interested in getting a pocket PC. It is using windows 2002 software but my PC uses 2003 so will it still work? For example if I use it to write something using theword program on the pocket PC will it still open on my home PC? Thanks Jack

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

View more questions Search