Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Oct 15, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Multiple child support issues.
    I have 2 separate child support cases. I earn $48,000yr, I pay out $16000yr support. I am currently having another child with my girlfriend. I can get a standard deduction for my new baby of $3100yr. This is not fair sharing my income equally to all the children concerned.

My question is this; if my girlfriend legally obtained more than a fair share of child support and I agreed to whatever she requested. Could I then use those court papers to get a reduction on my other 2 support orders?

(My goal is to be in the best interest of all the children equally.)

Currently my girlfriend makes sure me and my kids are fed and all my bills are paid. I am certain that she will be with me for the rest of my life.

Can We still live together?
    Can we be married and she still have an active support order against me?
    Is this legal?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2007, 05:53 PM
    It's extremely doubtful, from what other people have said, that a judge would reduce your first two children's support based on the fact that your new girlfriend is getting more support. They tend to think of each child's rights independently, which can result in quite a large chunk of your income going to support. After all, you knew about those first two kids, and if you don't want to pay more support, you can always elect to not have other kids.

Also, I wouldn't bet your financial future on your girlfriend always being there and willing to take care of you and someone else's kids. Funny how that can change as time goes by.

Oct 16, 2007, 04:31 AM
    Yes, but I wasn't going to go to court over this reduction. I was merely going to submit new info for the CSA to recalculate. If you look on the form: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3119

No. 8. and 9. there is a slot for gross income deduction. The standard deduction for each child living with you is $3100. But in slot number 9. the average deduction would be $5000 for my income.

As far as my girlfriend goes, she wants to get married and have 3 more children. She knows I'm a super duper dad. I do understand how you can't always count on a relationship being there over the years. But either way, is we are not together in the future Im still going to have to pay that support.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2007, 06:06 AM
    No, first it is fraud and most likely end you up in jail, they are used to this type of tricks

Next normally the first children are looked at first for payments, and the courts will want to decide amount to be paid.

Oct 16, 2007, 08:16 AM
    I have no intention of defrauding any one.
    I am looking for a legal loophole that would
    Allow for some fairness in raising another
    Family and to be able to provide for them all EQUALLY.
    It is my civil right to reproduce as many children
    That I desire. I love kids and I want them in my house.

I did not intend to keep information from the courts.
    My girlfriend is entitled to child support.
    The standard support order based on my current income
    In her state is ridiculously way above the federal exemption guideline
    Amount for some reason. So I don't see the fraud in that.
    I don't thinks its ilegal to ask the courts to abide by there own set standards.

I know couples that are started divorce
    But stayed married and or living together
    Who still have a legally active support orders.
    I was told it was up the custodial parent
    To dissolve the order at her discretion.

I don't have to tell anyone reading how unfair
    The system is against the non custodial
    Parents in this country. Why would the government expect
    Me to pay out more money than they would be
    Willing to give as a standard.

When I was married with children my average TOTAL
    Monthly bills were 1100 monthly. (food, shelter, clothes) Now the children are
    Not in my house (I live alone) and my average TOTAL monthly bills
    (excluding support) is $975. This simple math shows that having
    Extra children in your household does not amount too much nor
    Constitute a child support income which we all know 80% of the time does not
    Fairly reach the intended recipient.

I respect your intelligence because you've been
    Answering questions and know more about this subject than me.
    I am new to this type of forum. This is the first time I
    Ever posted questions or comments of such nature.
    But some of the facts that are in front of me do not show
    Our society represented by our people in power (The System)
    Do NOT really have the best interests in our children as a whole.
    It seems to only have expediency in the individual which allows
    Certain children to suffer in order to cure the obvious: (some other hidden legislative
    Agenda).
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hossbonnam
    Yes, but I wasnt going to go to court over this reduction. I was merley going to submit new info for the CSA to recalculate. If you look on the form: Lawriter - ORC - CHAPTER 3119: CALCULATION OF CHILD SUPPORT OBLIGATION -- HEALTH INSURANCE COVERAGE

No. 8. and 9. there is a slot for gross income deduction. The standard deduction for each child living with you is $3100. But in slot number 9. the average deduction would be $5000 for my income.

As far as my girlfriend goes, she wants to get married and have 3 more children. She knows im a super duper dad. I do understand how you can't always count on a relationship being there over the years. But either way, is we are not together in the future Im still going to have to pay that support.
    I think I see where the confusion lies. That form is used to determine how much child support should be paid and to which parent. Assuming that you are the non-custodial parent, the amount of money that you pay in child support is subtracted from your total income when considering how much money you have to pay for other kids. The bit about the standard deduction is used to determine how much you can deduct for kids living with you that you are legally obligated to support from a new relationship, which is why it doesn't include step-kids. They are not related costs, and no, the court doesn't have to reduce your child support to the first kids in order to make things more fair. Why should they? If you are paying 16000K in child support for 2 kids now, and have 8 more, would it be fair for the first two to get 800 each instead, so that each child can get the same pittance? The court will look at you and say that you knew how much you were paying out already, so if you choose to have more, you need to be prepared to provide for those children independently of your first two.

And, just an fyi, in some states, your new wife's income can be considered in respect to how much money the first two are entitled to. I don't know if that applies in Ohio.

Oct 16, 2007, 08:38 PM
    My parents had 5 kids and we were raised happily on about 1/8 of what you call pittance. My father made less than $1000 per month. The point Im trying to make is that Its my right to have children, I want children but this unfair system has disabled that option.

My parents made things equal for all five kids and not did not deprive any new children that came along after the first 2 were born. They loved all the children equally.

You see that I do earn enough money to take care of more than just 2 children. I could effectively have 5 children. I do not see any unfairness as long as each kid grows up happy and without want.

My ex did not work during the marriage, so remember that its by my hands that we even had an income. My goal was to have 5 kids at the beginning of my dreams.

Well ill definitely check into the new wife income thing before I pop the question.
    Now would the same rule apply for the custodial parent gets remarried?

Appreciate your input
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 05:14 AM
    I am in Ohio as well and have gone through the child support issues...

Your child support for all 3 kids will NOT be exactly the same amount. Child support in Ohio is based on the fathers AND mothers income. It is a simple spreadsheet, one side listed with possible incomes, as well as the top... incomes are found for the mother and father and traced to the middle of the page where they meet... and that is the amount of child support you pay.

What you can do, though, is find out the amounts the court is going to give you for all 3 children... find out what the highest amount is out of the 3... then tell the judge you want to pay more for the other 2 and add an amount that would make it all equal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support Issues [ 4 Answers ]

My live-in boyfriend (of 5 years) and I have a baby. He also has two teens that he pays child support to (25% of his income). He also has to travel to another state every other weekend to see them, which is very expensive. We are really struggling to make it. Meanwhile, his ex makes over $250,000,...

Rights and child support issues [ 4 Answers ]

All right so my husband had a child with his ex wife.. no one is sure that the baby is his to begin with... but anyway, she never took care of the child so the child was taken away, her mother got her a lawyer and they settled out of court and then they came with the police and took the baby while...

View more questions Search