Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teeboag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Union or non union
    What are the advantages of not being in a union?
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Nov 25, 2007, 08:29 PM
    The advantages are you don't have to pay union dues, the disadvantages are you have no voice in the union vote or issues at hand, I vote for union maybe that's because I was a union steward for 10 years so I'm bias.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teeboag
    what are the advantages of not being in a union?
    Are you asking this question because it is a homework question? It would really help us to know that.
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Nov 25, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Very true I didn't think of that.
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 08:42 PM
    It could be that teaboag is having an issue in life as to whether to be in a union or not. Don't know... If so, then that would be an interesting thing to discuss.
    superbarnsley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 08:59 AM
    It depends on what you're coming at it from. If you're a worker, then a union can look after your rights and fight for you in disputes. If you're a small business owner - in contracting, for example - then becoming a union organization will double your costs and remove from you a portion of control over your staff.

So in conclusion:
    Blue collar - union - GOOD
    Business owner - union - BAD
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 09:05 AM
    It would also be good to note that teeboag hasn't so much as logged back onto this site to view any answers since November 25, 2007 at 10:14 P.M. I hope that teeboag comes back to view the answers that have been given.
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Feb 15, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teeboag
    what are the advantages of not being in a union?
    Almost none.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 05:14 PM
    If you are in a union, a portion of your dues can be used for political causes and candidates you are not in agreement with. That part of being in a union sounds un-American to me.
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Feb 19, 2008, 06:50 PM
    I retired from a union job. Yes, the union may put $$ into a political party or candidate
    You may not agree with, but the bottom line for the union is the average worker and
    Those are the candidates we should support. Also. Those in management came around
    To wishing they were in the union. They had no say during layoffs. Also, I retired three
    Years earlier because I worked for over twenty years in the same job as a nurse.
    Now the hospital is closing. The union is covering benefits and getting each member a
    One time job interview so they could continue their benefits. They also keep their
    Benefits if they find another hospital with the same union. The Union was the best
    Decision I ever made... I have no regrets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Labor union [ 1 Answers ]

What kinds of occupational complaints do service workers have? Would unionization may be able to help resolve some of those complaints? Is there any reason why a "new collar" worker would not want the same benefits and clout that "blue collar" workers were able to get by unionizing? What might...

Union dues [ 3 Answers ]

The employees at the not for profit agency I work at joined the local teamsters union a few years ago. This week we were informed that there will be a change in our uniion dues starting on the pay reveived tomorrow. The change is as follows: all persons making less than $11 an hour will have their...

World in Union [ 1 Answers ]

Im am looking for the song "world in union" sung by P.J. Powers for the 1995 rugby world cup. :cool:

Union and non-Union works [ 2 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Union and non-union works in a Tool and Die industry? :confused:

View more questions Search