Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Little_Dreamer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2016, 10:59 PM
    What course should I take?
    I am currently studying as a senior high school student here in the Philippines and I am really confused what course to take when I'm in college. I love traveling, discovering new places, and meeting different people and I also want to work abroad specifically in Europe. Here are my 2 options:

Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education major in English- This is the course my dad suggested me to take because being a teacher has a lot of benefits and I could also earn even when I'ts vacation. It is also a profession. I love teaching but I hate waking up early in the morning and I also want this course because there a lot of countries that area looking for English teacher.

Bachelor of Science in Tourism- This is the course I really want to take because I love traveling, I love discovering new places, I love meeting different people and I love nature but I've read a lof ot reviews from those people who graduated from this course, they ended up working in a call center, Front desk clerk, etc. I don't want a job like that because I want to earn a lot of money because I want to be successful in the future. I also want to be a flight stewardess but I don't think it's possible for me because I'm really short and I have scars on my legs and I'm kind of chubby.

Which course should I take among those 2? Or maybe you can suggest me other course which involves traveling and has a big opportunity to work abroad. Thank you so much and may God bless us all!

P.S I'm sorry for my English, I'm really not that good.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 12, 2016, 12:58 PM
    Your English is wonderful, first of all.

I was actually going to suggest being a flight attendant since you really want to travel, but I will say, a long time ago I looked into this work and it's a lot of work. Depending on the flight you'll be serving for up to 12 hours, and it is serving, like being a waitress and concierge in the air. You normally don't spend a lot of time at the destinations you're flying to. Just long enough to sleep and eat, then back in the air again. SO really you'd see more of the plane than the places you're flying to.

Teaching is a good idea. You could fly all over and teach English. There is a chance at travel in this field. But the places you would be traveling may not be the places you want to travel to, and teachers do not make a great income, not enough to travel a lot during your summer breaks.

Out of the two options you're looking at, I'd pick teaching, but that's my choice. The best advice I can give you is to follow your passion. Do what you know you'll be happy doing, because this will be career and you may be doing it for 45 years or more. Best to have something you enjoy doing.

Good luck.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2016, 01:37 PM
    Also something else the Flight attendants do besides play Maid on the flight... they are who staff the counters where you check in and also at the gates... Was a lot of years of travel before I noticed and confirmed that.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 12, 2016, 04:57 PM
    I'd go to college with an undecided or undeclared major. Take your undergraduate courses in Math, Science, and English. You may figure out what is best for you in your first year. Teachers don't earn money on vacation in all areas. I had a job where I wasn't paid on my summer months. Teaching isn't easy, nor is it glamorous. If you don't like waking up early, it's probably not the career for you. Do you love children? Do you tutor or volunteer in activities for young children now? Start spending time with the age you'd like to teach as a tutor or volunteer.
    I love teaching, but I've never made enough money to travel. I was able to pick my kids up from school and take them to after school activities. I was home with them while they were on school vacations. I drive an old car and don't get to have expensive clothes. Would I choose this career again? Absolutely! You have to love what you do, and if you haven't been spending time with groups of children, then you better get started.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2016, 06:25 PM
    Your first two years of college are just basics normally ( I know that is not true in places like China but it is in most places)

So you go, take the math, take the English, take the science that are required classes. Take a few classes on different things.

Yes, most people in the travel industry work in offices, on phones, on computers, or as guides at a local resort or tourist place, they do not travel all over the world. Next most tour guides I know, travel to two or three basic places, time, after time, after time. You may be the one to go to Paris, but you are not free to see Paris, you must care for the people. And you go see the same places in Paris, every month, after month , after month.

You will not get rich, but you can teach English in about 2/3 of the World, (at low pay) but you teach a year here, a year there, and travel and see the world.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search