Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Precious7 Posts: 333, Reputation: 61

Aug 27, 2014, 10:46 AM
    Let me know what you think of this.
    Hi my Peeps, just wanted to share and ask about this project I am working on, So this is one of the phrases that I made, does it make any sense in general? Let me know what you think! Thanks for your inputs! :)

''At the bottom of the Jar'' = This simply means, a person, object or anything comes in the mind of other person priority wise at the end of everything, for example- just imagine there is a jar full of different kind of chocolate toffees, it has milk chocolate, dry fruits chocolates, dark chocolates. And You like all kind of chocolate but dark chocolate is a bit strong in the taste for you to consume, so You kept that specific variety of chocolate in the end or at the bottom of the jar, You gave it the last place among the other chocolates, so that You can have or consume those chocolate first which you like. According to that, dark chocolate is not a priority for you, So it goes at the bottom of the jar rather than taking first place in the jar or in the middle or even the second last category.

So if any person says that I am always at the bottom of the jar for him/her, he or she put me in the bottom for the jar, I think about it at the bottom of the jar, etc. etc. mean the person or thing comes or considered a less priority for the other person.
    :)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 27, 2014, 11:07 AM
    Not bad...
    A common phrase is 'put on the back burner,' but that has a slightly different meaning, without the connotations of thinking less of whatever you are putting there. Usually it refers to prioritizing projects. A more derogatory phrase is 'scraping the bottom of the barrel.' That really does mean that you have used up or tried all other options.

I guess my only question is how your image works. Jars aren't always clear nor can you always select what you want out of them. So how does the connotation of being unwanted get expressed? It could sound like just whatever happens to be at the bottom of a jar.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 11:09 AM
    I always save the best for last -- I scrape off the frosting and eat the cake first; I eat a frosted cupcake by starting at the bottom so the frosting is the last thing to eat; I eat the chocolates that I don't like first so I can savor my favorites later.

Thus, I disagree. The best is at the bottom of the jar.

Aug 27, 2014, 11:55 AM
    @ joy! The bottom of the jar, in this Imagination was this that, The jar is mine, its transparent and I dumped the dark chocolate first inside because I want to just eat other chocolates which I like, so may be till I reach towards the dark chocolate at the end I may or may not eat. I don't want to eat dark chocolates first and have no appetite for the rest of the chocolates which I actually like. So I want to finish the important one first and when nothing is available I can think about the last remaining one which are dark chocolates.

@Wonder girl- Actually I am trying to give and impression of the things that I don't like to do, the work which I think less important than other, the place I think less exciting from others, I kind of keep it in the last place so that, I can do first what I like and if have any more times left In my hand I can do the remaining last things, if you think it from the procrastination perspective, you can see what I am actually trying to bring up here. But the thing which is different here is I am doing, keeping that work, person, thing etc last because I want to do something which is more important for me, in that present time.
    I appreciate your answer though.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 12:04 PM
    My mother always told us, eat/do what you hate first, then you can enjoy what you love. Her motto has always worked well for me, and it has nothing to do with procrastination. In fact, it guarantees there is no procrastination.

Aug 27, 2014, 05:44 PM
    Wondergirl! I hear you, but here I asked about something different, things which I don't Hate but can choose to put 'in the end of my list' simply bcos, I may consider it as less important than other, I may willingly want to do it that way, or I gave it last position due to some reason.
    Thanks.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Precious7 View Post
    Wondergirl! I hear you, but here I asked about something different, things which I don't Hate but can choose to put 'in the end of my list' simply bcos, I may consider it as less important than other, I may willingly want to do it that way, or I gave it last position due to some reason.
    Thanks.
    I understand.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 06:05 PM
    Throw the jar away and put ALL the chocolate in a bowl and pick what you want, when you want. Eat, fill, repeat. I have big hands, and grab my chocolate by the hand fulls, and lick the wrappers when I am done.

Don't blink or the jar would be empty, and it wouldn't matter which ones YOU like. :D Sorry. An empty jar ain't no fun is it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 07:30 PM
    is the jar half full or half empty.

The expression is understood, since you explained it. I am not sure, I would have fully understood, if I just heard someone say it.

Aug 27, 2014, 10:28 PM
    Enough! You know what? I am not going to say anything anymore! I had enough of you guys always trying to put me "at the bottom of the Jar"!;

;)

Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 28, 2014, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Precious7 View Post
    Enough! You know what? I am not going to say anything anymore! I had enough of you guys always trying to put me "at the bottom of the Jar"!;

;)
    Your responses are what I savor after I read all the debris. :)

Aug 28, 2014, 10:44 AM
    :)...
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 28, 2014, 10:48 AM
    I am always here for you if you need help with getting those chocolates at the bottom of the jar.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 28, 2014, 02:14 PM
    You are an interesting person my dear. Don't give up on us westerners yet :)

Tick
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 28, 2014, 02:19 PM
    I actually think that is a pretty good statement. It kind of works like the bottom of the barrel without being quite as mean.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 28, 2014, 02:31 PM
    When I asked how the image would work, I meant for the rest of the world using the expression. You answered with what it means to you, which doesn't help a lot. I already got your meaning anyway.

It's not bad as expressions go. But if you go online and ask for critique, plan on getting plenty of it! What you really need to do is try it out on people you know.

I invented a new word that I use on Facebook in political arguments.
    "Amendies" are people who spout the Amendments to the US Constitution and think that's all they need to say. My word is meant to be derogatory, used on people who have no clue what all the Supreme Court cases have been that are based on the Amendments.

Some people like it. Some don't. Most seem indifferent. I have a feeling that "bottom of the jar" will have the same effect on people.

Aug 29, 2014, 12:25 AM
    Thanks WG, tick, odinn, joy, tal... lol!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search