Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dallison Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2005, 02:48 PM
    70's Day and Night Gas Furnace Common wire?
    Hi-

I have a furnace that I need a common wire to hook up
    A new thermostat that req's a common wire-
    The Company that originally made the furnace, BDP - merged
    w/ Carrier I think-

I have a Red and Blue coming out of the top of the transformer
    And black & white @ the bottom - 115v looks like according to
    The schematic-
    Took a reading w/ a voltmeter of the red/blue - hold a 24volt
    Reading

Can I use the Blue as a common wire- I don't have a terminal block to
    Connect to -

Thanks for any help

-Derek
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2005, 05:10 PM
    My wiring FAQ, Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. It may be wired to have the control wires return to the furnace and its controls and then a second wire goes to the A/C unit. Internal wiring may replace the green wire if the thermostat does not give you the option of fan only or continuous fan.

If the thermostat is powered, it will need both the usually hot red wire and the usually blue common wire. There may already be a blue wire in the cable to the thermostat. Just connect it at both ends. Often the only blue wire used outside the furnace is out to the AC relay. My original furnace, installed in 1970, was wired up that way.
    dallison Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2005, 05:35 PM
    Thanks
    Labman

Thanks so much for the reply-

Looks like my red and white go to the thermostat and then I have
    A blue that goes from the transformer to the gas valve
    And branches to the fan switch-

It's single stage heat only so I don't have the AC wiring
    I had earlier verified that the red/blue wires hold 24V with a voltage meter and a 1k 1/2 watt resistor connected btw-

I plan on using the Omnistat RC80 thermostat w/ the furnace
    w/ RS-232 control via a PC - The Omnistat req's a common so
    I'm sunk w/out it

Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace thermostat needs 24 v wire [ 6 Answers ]

My new White Rogers programmable furnace stat says it needs 24 v dc to run it. I installed it and am using the 2 AA batteries to power it, but I have 4 wires coming in now. I have A/C. The stat is running OK now but if I take the batteries out the display goes dead. I don't know how to run 24 v...

Frigidaire Furnace - Blower Motor Common Wire [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Frigidaire furnace model # FG6RA 096C-12B. I purchased a humidifier to install and do not have the users guide for the furnace. I need to know which wire is the blower motor common wire. Thanks for all your help.

Gas furnace blows out cold air at night [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a problem that I haven't quite seen here and I have no idea how to search for it. Here's the deal: I have a gas furnace. I'm trying to save energy, so I got a new thermostat at the beginning of the fall. I set it to 68 when we're awake and in the house, and 60 after 10pm and...

Common Wire on Honeywell T8624D Chronotherm [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing two White-Rodgers thermostats, one heating and one cooling with a Honeywell T8624D heating/cooling thermostat. I have three wires coming from the cooling thermostat (W, R & G) and 2 wires for heating coming from the transformer located in the wall at the thermostat which are both...

"common wire" [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier gas/ ac system installed in 1998. I just bought honeywell digital thermastat that requires a "common wire". I have blue, tan, black and orange not being used. How can I test to determine which is "common" ?

View more questions Search