Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NewYorkMOm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 07:01 AM
    New York State Laws for absent Parents?
    I know this has been probably asked a million times, BUT I am asking it again. I have a situation to where I am getting health insurance through NYS called Child Health Plus, they are inquiring about my daughters father who has shown no interest in her since her birth. My situation is as follows:

Met this man, we briefly dated for a short time, I became pregnant. I was a single mom already prior to this, my oldest is 18 and my youngest will be turning a year in April.

When I found out I was pregnant he wnet with me to the Doctors to get the pregnancy test, I thought wow a stand up guy and such and we were told of the news I was pregnant. He and I talked afterwards about decisions, he cliamed he was leaving it up to me to decide. He was figuring I would terminate because of the age gap of my kids ( I am older) I could never and it never crossed my mind to do so. He stated he could never go through life knowing him half of him was out there somewhere. In other words he would be there for the child. A few days later he was begging me to abort!:mad:

Long story short he did not go to one OB visit, not any contact what so ever through my whole pregnancy. He even claimed he couldn't possibly be the father and a paternity test would hae to be done. Which I would not have a problem, I know the result and so does he. He did come to see me in my 6th month of pregnancy to tell me " I kind of got someone else pregnant" anyway long story short, we called him after my daughters birth and asked him to come see her. I have never heard from him since.

Now the insurance compnay is asking about the absent parent.

So my question in NYS how long does a parent have to go without contact to lose his rights?
    lanenamorales Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 03:27 PM

Wow seems like same story let me know when they answer your question...
    Hazel13 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 07:52 PM

I'm sorry I got nothing...
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 06:14 AM

Rights are never automatically lost.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 06:15 AM
    The reason the insurance company is asking about the absent father is because anytime you go on any state support, they are going to try to recoup their expenses. Basically they are going to file for child support and collect if directly to cover the cost of the insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file New York State Tax Return as Non Resident ? [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking for some advice about my state tax return. Thank you in advance for whoever can provide some guidance. I'm a french citizen and arrived in New York under a J-1 visa in July 2004. I filed as non resident for my 2004 tax return. In October 2005, I obtained the H1-B status....

J1 visa New York State tax forms [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I moved from India to NY state in Feb 2006 on a J1 temporary non immigrant visa. I filed 1040EZ for the federal returns (I was an F1 student from Aug 2000 to Oct 2005). My question is 1) Am in a non-resident or part year resident for NY state for the year 2006? As far as I understand, I...

Pay no New York state tax? [ 1 Answers ]

I landed US Aug, 1998. I began to work since 2001. I'm still holding F-1 visa, am I considered as nonresident alien? When filing federal tax, can I use 1040NR? I have a copy of IT203 for 2004 New York state tax, which was prepared by turbo tax software. The software put $0 on all New York...

Va State Tax Laws [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1099-MISC income/ Box 3 other income.. state taxes were not paid.. do I need to report this on my state tax form? monroklo

New York State Return [ 1 Answers ]

I have already filed my New York Tax Return about 3 weeks back. (nothing shows up on the status as yet). Filed IT-203 but I sent my W2 and did not send IT-2 What should I do?? Any suggestions??

View more questions Search