Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katiestevens777 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 05:25 PM
    Children from church program throwing rocks
    Hello, I'd like some advice on how to handle this situation. It has been going on for about 6 months.

I am a tenant in a 4 family house next door to a parking lot that belongs to a church further down the block. Each Saturday the church has a "Cultural Enrichment" program for children between the ages (roughly) 6-11 years old. These children arrive at 9 a.m. and from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. most Saturdays they are running all around the parking lot with not enough supervision.

Lately one of the older boys has taken to throwing rocks at our building. It is very nerve wrakcing and my landlord and I have gotten into yelling matches but it does no good.

Now it is escalating and the rocks are getting bigger and there's even containers and balls getting thrown over the fence.

I've told my landlord to stop yelling at the children and talk to the Priest. The problem recurs.

I've never been involved but this weekend I was home and saw the container thrown and heard a rock hit the basement door. My landlord went to talk to the Priest shortly after I'd spoken with him on the phone.

The Priest took action to go out and stop the children but it was some time before the noise and commotion stopped.

The rock throwing started again. My landlord came in to ask me if I'd called and I said yes. I called the priest again and told him I'd witnessed what was happening and that if anything was damaged he'd be seeing us in small claims court. He went out again and this time it stopped. The children were taken inside.

I sent the Priest an email telling him that I was sure with proper supervision the matter can be resolved.

I do not want to go to court or get caught between my landlord and the Priest. However, it is very distracting as I work from home. Today the same boys were in the church parking lot taunting and calling my landlord some vry filthy names.

I have decided not to go out and yell anymore. I'll call the Priest and follow-up with an email to document the event.

My landlord is elderly, 84 years old. He asks me for advice. I told him to call a lawyer.

What recourse do we have? Should we call the police before window breaks or after?

I'm very unsure but if we go to court I want to know how to prepare. This is going to escalate. I'm shocked by these children's behavior.

Thank you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2009, 05:30 PM

Hello k:

You'v done absolutely everything you can do considering the situation. You've put the church on WRITTEN notice. If it happens again, call the cops. If damage occurs, sue them. Your ducks are all lined up... But, you can't change peoples behavior.

excon
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2009, 06:08 PM

I agree with excon.

But I'd "scare" the kids. Just enter the church lot, approach the troublemakers and ask for their parent's addresses and phone numbers. Write these down.

That should slow them way down. If they continue to be obnoxious, call their parents. Of course you could be given false information but some of the younger children will likely relate the incident to parents.

Oct 4, 2009, 06:33 PM
    Thank you. My landlord said if it happens next Saturday he will call the police. I'll be here to back him up.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 4, 2009, 06:49 PM

Should have called the police the second time it happened.

Oct 5, 2009, 11:56 AM
    I wasn't home on weekends when this happened. However, I'm spending more time at home now and have decided to step in and push my Landlord to do it. And if he doesn't I'm going to. This upcoming Saturday is the day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Qestion1:emplyee pay program, question2:average program [ 1 Answers ]

I would just like to know how to write these programs and the proper way in which to go about doing so. Question #1 In this exercise you create a program that displays an employee’s name and gross pay. a) The figure below shows the partially completed IPO chart for the payroll program....

Not a member of a church but want to be married in church [ 8 Answers ]

Neither my fiancé or myself are members of a church, however we want to be married in a church. We live in Whitehall, PA and are wondering if anyone knows of a church that would marry us without having to join.

Rocks [ 1 Answers ]

Would iron-containing limestone make a good building stone for a monument?

View more questions Search