Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    senorita2007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 09:44 AM
    Green card status after divorce
    Hi
    I got married in India and came to USA with my husband. Its been 5 years now we havea 3 year old kid.. Our green card is processed by his company. We got our EAD and waiting for 140 and 485 to clear.we are in the final stage. Now we are thinking of divorcing but I want to live here even after divorce.
    Is it possible to be here even though I am not his wife or is it possible that he can initmate the INS and make me an illegal alien and throw me out of USA.
    I want to get the green card and live here...
    Please help me...
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita2007 View Post
    hi
    I got married in India and came to USA with my husband. its been 5 years now we havea 3 year old kid.. Our greencard is processed by his company. We got our EAD and waiting for 140 and 485 to clear.we are in the final stage. Now we are thinking of divorcing but i want to live here even after divorce.
    Is it possible to be here even though i am not his wife or is it possible that he can initmate the INS and make me an illegal alien and throw me out of USA.
    I want to get the greencard and live here...
    please help me...
    Wait until I-485 is approved and then you can be on your own and keep your status... if divorce now, you will be out of status.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Feb 12, 2009, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee View Post
    Wait until I-485 is approved and then you can be on your own and keep your status... if divorce now, you will be out of status.
    +1, your status is dependent on your husbands current pending status. If you divorce now, you will no longeer qualify for dependent status. Off topic, counseling? Good luck to you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Entering the US with an out of status green card for immigration interview [ 15 Answers ]

I lived in the US for 24 years and due to a pending divorce came to Australia where I was born and have family for over 2 years. All I was waiting on was my FBI check and my citizenship would have been aproved. Because it took so long, 3 letters were sent to my american address requesting I be...

What happens to my green card status if I leave the usa for more then 6 months [ 5 Answers ]

I have travelled out the country with my wife for pure medical reasons, I expect to be hospitalised for a long time and will probably not make it back to the USA within 12 months, I have been in the states for more then 20 years, can someone please tell me what the rules are with regards to...

Status after/during a divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I think my husband may be cheating. He received his green card after we married. It has not been two years yet. I know if we get a divorce he will lose his status. I am wondering if it is possible for him to apply for a work visa while we are still married so he doesn't have to leave. I think...

Divorce with F-1 status [ 1 Answers ]

My name is Lanie Tran. I am curently an international student. I got married with my boyfriend, who is US citizen, 3 months ago. For some reasons, he wants to get divorced with me. We just got our marriaged certificate, we have not applied any thing else. With my situation, does it effect to my F-1...

Immigration status after divorce [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madam, I am married for almost 2 years to a lady who is about to migrate to USA on account of her mother sponsorship. I believe it will take another 2-3 months for us (my wife, myself and my 1 month old child) her to reach USA. In the meantime, there are differences developed in both...

View more questions Search