Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colin72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2006, 07:13 PM
    Dead Hard Drive: Data Recovery Questions
    I have a Dell Dimension 4700 that is less than a year old. Last week I got the error "Unmountable Boot Volume" and after calling Dell tech support I was told my hard drive was dead.

A Dell tech came and put a new hard drive in my computer Monday and left the old hard drive with me so I could attempt some kind of data recovery (I have limited time to keep the old hard drive before I have to send it to Dell, but could ask for an extension if needed).

Some questions (please note I'm very much a novice):

1) What exactly are my options? A Dell tech suggested places that do data recovery such as; "Drive Savers" (drivesavers.com) or Best Buy ($149 unlimited recovery). Are there any other options for recovery (again I'm a novice)?

2) The hard drive I want to recover files from is 160 GB. I'm not sure how much of that I want to recover. If I give the hard drive to a data recovery place, how will I be able to tell them which files I want to recover? Do I have to remember everything I want them to look for and recover or will they somehow be able to provide me with a list of data that can be recovered?

Thank you in advance for any help and advice you can offer!
    Colin
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 14, 2006, 05:54 AM
    If you give the drive to a recovery place, they will give you CDs or something of all files they could recover. So you don't need to worry about knowing what to recover. Another place to look at is ontrack.com.
    BUSICOM Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2006, 03:44 AM
    I have recovered a lot of information from dead hard drives using RecoverSoft's Data Rescue PC software, they have a free download that you can use to see if it can recover your files, if ti can see the files it will tell you if they are recoverable or not. If they are then pay for it online and they will email you a registration key to use.

Keep in mind you need a hard drive that is partitioned as FAT32 to restore the files to, I would suggest unplugging your current working hard drive before attempting the restore so you don't accidentally have the software fromat the drive as FAT32.

If you are not at all competent with this type of hardware changing I would suggest you have someone that knows what they are doing do it for you.

http://www.recoversoft.com/data_rescue_pc_info.htm is info and free download link

On the other if you happen to live in the vicinity of Sydney Australia I can do the recovery for $80.00, no charge if I can't recover your files.
    rickcsvdubs Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2006, 09:01 AM
    I just fixed a friends PC that had the same error. I placed the dell xp install disk in the drive booted from the cd and ran through the repair built into the xp installation disks. I then was able to log onto the PC. If this does not work I would set the hard drive as a slave on another PC and see if I could get my data if not run as slave and use bad copy pro to retrieve the data. I have used this program many times and has never let me down. Hope this helps you out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Data Recovery [ 5 Answers ]

I have a hard drive that crashed, I want to recover files, so a put it on a PC as a slave and able to see the files.the trouble that I'm having is some of the file that I want to access will not let me access them.how do I access these files?

Hard Drive problem - crashed and trying to recover data [ 10 Answers ]

G'day All, I'm having a hard drive problem. My hard drive crashed I've bought a new one have loaded up windows xp pro tried connected my old drive (making a clunking noise) as a slave drive and my computer just hangs at the XP pro openning window and does not advance. If I disconnect the slave win...

Harddisk data recovery [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a hard drive that will not boot into windows anymore but I need some files from it, every diagnostic tool I use says the disk is OK to use, but every piece of software I have tried will only find deleted files and the files I want were never deleted I just can't can't get to them....

Data Recovery/Go Back ? [ 7 Answers ]

I made the mistake of trusting a program called Go Back which came with the Norton Suite. Had it told me it was compressing my drive, I would've stopped it... but it's too late for that.. the drive is having major problems now, it hasn't been bootable for some time, but any partitioning/formatting...

Hard Drive Data Recovery Freezing [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I have had an unfortunate incident. I woke up Sunday morning to find my main workstation PC with a blank screens and a cursor on the upper left. Fun. From the blue screen it appears that the boot sector somehow decided to go bad. I'll spare you all the details of the 12 hours I have...

View more questions Search