Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mattfraser Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2006, 01:46 AM
    Trouble with PC giving out VGA signal
    Hi

Was using my PC last night when all of a sudden it went off. Turning it back on again resuts in the monitor saying "No Signal"
    My first reaction was the graphics card but I had a spare and changed it but still no display.
    I should mention that when I turn my PC on I get no beeps and al the fans and HDD etc spin and seem to be okay.
    Have tried a different monitor but I get the same.
    This is where I get lost... I reset my bios by taking out the battery and the first time I boot up the PC it works. I go into the bios and during me configuring it the PC crashes/freezes. If I now reset the bios again it won't boot up.
    I tried re-seating the memory. As above. The first time it boots up I have no probs but it soon crashes/freezes. If I reseat the ram again, nothing. <Added> I have tried swapping my memory for some old ones I had but still freezes.

I have some ideas:
    1. My psu is not giving out enough power. Unlikely as it has been working for ages and if it stops it stops, nothing in between.
    2. My cpu of m/board. Some kind of problem with them.

Can anyone help me here, I'm kind of stuck without starting to do more drastic things.

Matt
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Jun 30, 2006, 05:55 AM
    Boot in safe mode with step by step confirmation and see what driver makes it freeze
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 30, 2006, 06:10 AM
    You say it freezes while in bios configuration? This would almost have to be a motherboard problem.

Freezing is rarely caused by power supply problems, however the 'sudden turnoff' could have been. I was thinking it could be the power supply, but if I am understanding correctly that it is freezing while in bios configuration, it is not likely the problem.

It could be memory, although I wouldn't think of bios configuration as being memory intensive. However, since you swapped the RAM and got the same results, I'd say it is safe to eliminate that as well.

CPU's rarely fail unless they overheat. If your fan is still fully operational on the CPU, you can probably count that good as well.

Based on the limited information you have available, I would say the motherboard is your problem.

Jun 30, 2006, 09:07 AM
    Tommy - I can't get that far.

Dagas - cheers for all your tips. I don't think it can be the memory as I swapped it and although I did suspect the psu, like you said, the psu is not going to make the PC freeze in the bios.

This does leave only the m/board and cpu. I understand what you are saying that cpu's rarely fail these days but I would be gutted if I bought another m/board and it was the cpu.
    I really don't know what to do at the minute. Part of me wants to just say hell to it and buy cpu and m/board to save all the mucking around. I do need it working fairly soon.

How likely is it to be the m/board over the cpu?

Cheers
    Matt

Jun 30, 2006, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfraser

How likely is it to be the m/board over the cpu?
    I have about 9 years of providing computer support professionally, and in that time, I've seen MAYBE 2 cpu failures not attributed to a failed fan or someone breaking a pin, or other such nonsense.

I would say 95% chance it's the motherboard.

Jul 1, 2006, 02:53 AM
    Ok nice one, appreciate the help.
    Why do m/boards go wrong in this way, what's actually happened. Can't see anything wrong with the board. No caps have blown or anything... suppose it's just one of those things!

Matt

Hi again

The m/board in question is a Gigabyte 8knxp. I have looked everywhere for one but can't find one. Does anyone know where I might pick one up (UK)

Or does anyone have any suggestions for other m/boards. Must be:

Socket 478 (cant really afford to buy new chip)
    800 FSB (make use of my memory)
    AGP (not long bought a new graphics card)

Any suggestions? Cheers

Matt

Jul 2, 2006, 09:36 AM
    Don't know about where you can 'pick one up,' but if you have to resort to ordering one, here's a similar Gigabyte board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128232

Jul 2, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Hi

Cheers for that. That is one of the replacement boards I have been looking at. Still not easy to find a new one (I'm in the UK) can find used ones but more reluctant to buy one of those!

Matt

Jul 15, 2006, 03:10 PM
    Hi again

Update: Eventually tracked down a good socket 478 board as I can't afford to upgrade everything, cost me £140. Guess what... looks like it is not the board. I can't even get in the bios now. HAHA don't know whether to laugh or cry... hmmm or maybe throw the whole thing out the window. I just can't afford to replace any more parts.

Matt

Jul 17, 2006, 06:19 AM
    Can't get into the bios, as in it will not boot at all? Or are you just not able to enter the bios?

Describe exactly what is happening and what you are seeing.

Jul 18, 2006, 01:39 AM
    Hi

It's OK. I sorted now. Not sure what was wrong!

Cheers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat (soon to be giving birth) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a couple of questions about my pregnant cat . Well I don't exactly know when the time of her getting pregnant was, but I think she is getting really close to giving birth to her kittens. First of all I would like to know if taking their temperature is an accurate way of telling whe nthey...

Girlfriend is giving me a headache [ 4 Answers ]

OKAY so... here I am almost 7 months after when the relationship started. Things began to get a little rocky a few weeks ago when school was starting. This semester I'm in right now means a lot to me, because I screwed up freshman year I'm now digging myself out of a hole, and after this...

Help With Giving Roommate Bad Credit [ 2 Answers ]

While living with roommates, I was responsible for paying the power bill, even though the account was in another roommates name. I didn't pay the bill for a good portion of the year and it has finally shown up on my roommates credit. Is it possible to have the debt transferred to me, since it was...

Giving up my dreams? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, I originally went to college for film I wanted to direct or produce and after one year I joined the army reserve and left school to move where my new husband was stationed. Now I'm an 'army wife' and mom which is common around here but my husband is getting out soon and I would like to go...

View more questions Search