Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    b2busy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Kleptomania, in young teens
    My friends daughter has been stealing for several years. She is only 13 but acts much younger.She has an older sister and a younger brother. I want to know what disorders are associated with this type of behavior. The things she steals she usually just throws away. Some of the items are valuable and belong to neighbors of ours. Her mom is a wits end and ready to turn her over to juvenile authorities. They have tried psychologist and psychiatrist but ten minutes talking to the child once a week is not helping. Does any one know of other treatments. They were treating her at one time for adhd but all that did was drug her.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 10:22 PM
    I assume that she does this either for the thrill or the attention. I would try a FAMILY therapy session. Just her going might make her feel singled out. I think that the child and both parents, and maybe even siblings all sitting and talking with a professional could bring out some other variables or reasons for her behavior. And honestly, whoever she was going to doesn't sound like the best person to "treat" her if he was just drugging her. She needs real help before she gets older and this becomes an issue for adult authorities and it ruins her life.
    eaca1234 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Nov 26, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Kleptomania is becoming unbelievably common in teens. They seem to think that since stores overprice things so much, they should just take things.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 26, 2007, 06:34 PM
    It's not just about the price of things.

As I mentioned there are many reasons as to why teens steal.

Attention and thrill are the main ones.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teens Bedroom ----help [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Hope someone can help. We are redoing our 15 year olds bedroom - a skateboard fanatic. We would like to incorporate this into his room - old skate decks for shelves, posters mounted, track lighting, etc. He wants his ceiling black - no problem - but what color would I use on the walls? ...

How young is too young when it comes to your virginity? [ 41 Answers ]

This girl who's interested in me recently told me that she lost hers at 14.The legal age here is 16.Im not sure whether to be put off by this because it seems a bit young. She said she's never had sex after that but that's not the point.woulnt care if she's a virgin or not but not sure if I should...

Unsupervised Teens [ 8 Answers ]

I am sure this gets asked every day, but how do I keep my son's girlfriends out of my house while I am at work all day? He is 16 years old.

View more questions Search