Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CoreyRichards Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 12:59 PM
    Dip Tube replaced due to flakes in water, how to clean out hot water tank?
    We have the issue where we are getting plastic flakes in our water, which stop up the water flow at the faucet.

We did some research and found it was most likely caused by the dip tube being eroded, and we had it replaced with our home warranty.

However, the repairmen who installed the new dip tube appeared to be doing his first one, and though we can see the positive effects on the heat of our water, he did not flush out the plastic pieces (and whatever else might be in the water tank)... we are still getting them and it has been at least 4-6 weeks.

Although I realize they will eventually go away, I was wondering if someone could give me some information on how to go about flushing out a hot water tank... and whether it's possible for a tank to be completely flushed out.
    [I used to manage a Pool, and we could backwash the filters to get any debris build up flushed out... is there a similar process for a hot water heater that is recommended / a normal procedure?]
    Any help at all that can be provided would be great.

Many thanks!

Details if needed:
    - Electric water heater
    - In attached garage of our house
    - Maybe ten years old [no, we can't afford a new one]
    - I empty the plastic pieces from the various faucets at least every week.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 01:50 PM

Unhook hot and cold water inlet/outlet. Attach hose to cold water inlet. Cap off hot water inlet. Turn hose on full blast. Open drain valve on the bottom to let water out.

You can also turn tub spout ON and let it run for 1/2 hour. Same effect, less work...

However, if you start using w/h, the sediment will eventually settle down and will stay there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced water heater, no pressure or hot water [ 46 Answers ]

I have just replaced my old water heater, and now I don't have hot water and my kitchen pressure is low, but the bath has good pressure. What could be the problem here? It's a brand new water heater so the elements couldn't have gone out could they?

Water pressure against tank height and tank water capacity [ 5 Answers ]

Normally the head pressure of water is .433 pounds per foot of head. Is there any change in pressure by changing the tank water capacity. e.g. if two tanks of 50ft height having water capacity of one is 10,000 gallons and other one has 20,000 gallons. What will be the water pressure difference...

Low water pressure after water main shut off value was replaced [ 3 Answers ]

I changed the water main shut value and now I have low water pressure, I also made sure that the arrow on the value was going in the direction of the water flow

Replaced electric water heater Atlanta area, but no hot water [ 14 Answers ]

The old water heater died. Bot one (38 gals) at HD. Installed exactly like the old one was as follows--3 CPVC pipes come out of wall. Two are joined. Before they are joined one has a valve. After they are joined there is a second valve. The pipe is connected to the cold side of the heater using...

Replaced hot water stem in shower and now no water. [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to replace the hot water stem in my bathtub and I got it changed out and when I turned the water on nothing. Took it off and turned the water on and water sprayed out and again I put it on and nothing. I am a complete novice with this, there is another piece that came with the stem...

View more questions Search