Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hiswife Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Restitution
    My husband was charged with theft, stealing from a department store. The case is nearly finished and now they are saying he owes restitution for the items he tried to steal. He thinks that he shouldn't have to pay for the items since they never left the store and the store would have been able to re-shelve them.

Does anyone know if that is common and legal to do?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Yes, unfortunately I stole something once and had to pay $300.00, they explained it to me as I am paying for their security personels time, like their salary during the time it took them to process paperwork (police reports etc) and part of the cost of the equipment they use to stop theft. Looking back a few years I would say it's fair, if no one stole they wouldn't need a security staff and cameras, detectors etc which all cost money.

Mar 2, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    Yes, unfortunately i stole something once and had to pay $300.00, they explained it to me as i am paying for their security personels time, like their salary during the time it took them to process paperwork (police reports etc) and part of the cost of the equipment they use to stop theft. Looking back a few years i would say it's fair, if no one stole they wouldnt need a security staff and cameras, detectors etc which all cost money.

I don't know if that makes sense, and I see you are in Canada, so I don't know if that is the law here, so what I am looking for more is the law in this area.

The amount in restitution is a itemized amount of the items, it doesn't say it's for anything else, and it would seem the punative amount was paid in the fine he's already paid??

I don't know, and I've learned the law doesn't often make rational sense, so maybe that is the case.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Oh... you didn't mention above that he already paid a fine. Well this would be different, I can tell you all I had to pay was a flat fine, I didn't have to pay a fine plus the cost of the items. I guess it would depend on the state laws regarding minor theft, it's possible, I have heard of something similar before but I don't remember what state the person was in
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 06:26 PM
    What kind of restitution? Just the cost of the items? If that is the case, yes, the store can ask for that. Even though the items did not leave the store. This happened to my older brother about six years ago. His can argue his point with his attorney.

Mar 2, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    What kind of restitution? Just the cost of the items? If that is the case, yes, the store can ask for that. Even though the items did not leave the store. This happened to my older brother about six years ago. His can argue his point with his attorney.

He doesn't have an attorney. The restitution is about $600, and that's about how much it would cost for an attorney so I don't know if it's worth it to hire one when the result of money we'd be out is the same anyway, you know?

What state is your brother in?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 06:37 PM
    He was living in Minnesota at the time. $600.00 is quite a bit of money. If he would not pay it, what would happen?

Mar 2, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    He was living in Minnesota at the time. $600.00 is quite a bit of money. If he would not pay it, what would happen?

I don't know, I assume jail time. He's already paid his fine and he went through this program that is for first time offenders. So, since he's already almost "done" I would assume they would negate all that in some way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can Criminal Court Orders for restitution be discharged with Chapter 7? [ 13 Answers ]

I was just notified by a Bankruptcy Court that an individual who has been ordered to pay restitution to me in both a CIVIL and CRIMINAL lawsuit has applied for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. She is presently paying on the criminal order so that she won't be returned to prison. Is it possible to have...

Being refused to pay restitution [ 3 Answers ]

I wrote bad checks to a place also have been accused of several thousand of dollars being stoled what is the law on restitution if they refuse to take restitution a gave me a signed latter stating such can they press charges.

View more questions Search