Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alan58 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2012, 03:29 AM
    401-K Early withdrawal penalty and 10% penalty added to Income as well line 58 Tax?
    Hello! My question is: I added the 10% penalty on line 30 of form 1040 to my adjusted gross income on top of my taxable amount of my withdrawal... Next I added the 10% penalty on line 58 (additional taxes on withdrawal), which was then added to my total tax amount. Is this the correct way to do this? Please Advise. Rgds, Alan
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 6, 2012, 07:08 AM
    Hello Alan. Your plan administrator will send you a 1099-R form that reports the amount of withdrawal and the amount of tax withheld. Make sure you have that form in hand before you file your taxes for 2011.

You enter the amount of the withdrawal from your 401(k) on line 16 (“Pensions and Annuities”). You report the 10% penalty on line 58 (“Additional tax on IRAs, other qualified retirement plans, etc.”). Finally you include taxes already withheld on line 62 (“Federal income tax withheld from Forms W-2 and 1099”). You do not include anything from your 401(k) withdrawal on line 30 - that line is for penalties from withdrawal from savings accounts, and your 401(k) is NOT a savings account.

Jan 6, 2012, 08:40 AM
    Thx so much Ebaines... That was a huge help. Yes you are absolutely right line 30 is just for penalty on savings (just read up on that). I totally missed that, glad you pointed that out. My plan administrator just took out the 20% in taxes, so I will pay the 10% when I file my taxes. I should get a refund once I include my exemptions & standard deductions, as my 401K withdrawal was my only income for 2011.
    Rgds, Alan.

Jan 6, 2012, 09:06 AM
    Ebaines you mentioned: You enter the amount of the withdrawal from your 401(k) on line 16 (“Pensions and Annuities”). I thought I enter this amount on line 15 (under IRA distribution) ? Please clarify, Thx, Alan
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 6, 2012, 09:22 AM
    Line 15 is for IRAs. 401(k) withdrawals go on line 16. See the directions for 1040 lines 16a and b, page 23:
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf

Jan 6, 2012, 11:16 PM
    Thanks again Ebaines :) I see the light :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdrawal penalty tax question [ 1 Answers ]

I was laid off in 2009 and used my 401k distribution to pay for medical insurance while unemployed and for grad school tuition, rather than rolling it over. I thought I could avoid the 10% early withdrawal penalty if I took 401k distributions and used them to pay for medical insurance and/or higher...

10% penalty exception for early 401(k) withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

I began collection SSD benefits in September of 2008. My last date of work due to disability was Mar 13, 2008. I withdrew my 401(k) money so that I could continue to meet my mortgage, living expenses and to pay medical expenses, including health insurance premiums. I am trying to find out if...

401(k) withdrawal taxes and penalty [ 1 Answers ]

I lost my job in April '08 as a Mortgage Loan Officer and have had to survive on my 401(k). I altimately still had to file BK, Chapter 7 and am now losing my house. I'm trying to find if I can use hardship rules to waive the 10% penalty.

401k early dstribution penalty and income tax [ 2 Answers ]

I received an early distribution on my 401k. My understanding is that the 10% penalty is assessed first and then they deduct the taxes. Are both of those calculated on the top figure value of the account. Is the 10% penalty tax deductable? Can any part of the penalty be used to satisfy the income...

401 k early withdrawal penalty - first time home purchase [ 1 Answers ]

I took out a portion of my 401k to go towards the purchase of a new home. Although this is my first purchase, I did put my name on refinance paper when my husband and I decided to refinance his home 2 years ago (he purchased before we met). Since I put my name on the refinance papers is that...

View more questions Search