Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Homeowner2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 06:29 PM
    Terrified.is it mold?
    For the past several months, my sister has complained that her toilet seems to move just a little, almost imperceptibly. We've been meaning to check on it, but as everyone knows the economoy is horrible and we've been hit hard. Money is VERY VERY scarce in my house. I should mention I almost never have cause to go into her bathroom because I have my own. Today I went in to use her bathroom because I really had to go and hers was closer and I noticed that her sheet vinyl flooring (which, when brand new, was an off-white color) is now greyish black in most places. Realizing that water under the flooring can cause mold, I panicked and grabbed a washcloth and dampened it with water from the sink, then rubbed hard on the floor. The blackish-greyish stuff came off (in that spot, anyway). I know I have to call a plumber now, but it will have to wait until Monday because I absolutely cannot afford after hour emergency fees.
    My question is: if the wax ring has deteriorated and has caused a significant volume of water to become trapped beneath the sheet vinyl and our concrete slab, would mold/mildew rise to the surface of the tile, or is this some other substance?? Can the adhesive underneath "float up" to the surface of the tile??

Tile does not feel wet, damp, or spongy.

I should also mention my sister has juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and as the result, she's not the best housecleaner because it is hard for her to apply enough pressure from a standing position and she can't kneel or get on the ground. She has very long hair and uses a lot of hairspray, so is it possible that the buildup, along w/ normal dirt tracking, may have caused this?? I am just terrified about this. I am not in great health myself, so I can't fix the wax seal myself, much less the floor. The floor does not seem to be bubbling up or be coming loose. That's why I am so puzzled. Wouldn't water under the vinyl flooring eventually cause the adhesive to fail and the floor to come up??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 06:36 PM

Yes it could be anything,

If the floor bolts became loose and no one tightened them, the toilet wouild and could wobble and this breaks the seal, ( seal does not fail,)
    Is the flooring glued down or merely laid on the concrete.

Could some water or other liquid be running down the side of the toilet,

Does the back of the toilet "sweat"

But the area around the bottom of a toilet not cleaned regularly will have all sorts of growths
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 06:38 PM

It is moisture, not necessarily direct sewage leak...

You have to reset toilet. It is not a big deal. If there is a man in the house with bit of skill - we can lead you through the reset.

You will need new wax ring, or two. Cost: about $5.00. Also, a tube of latex caulk. Cost: $2.00.

Let us know what you want to do... Milo
    Homeowner2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 09:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    It is moisture, not necessarily direct sewage leak....

You have to reset toilet. It is not a big deal. If there is a man in the house with bit of skill - we can lead you through the reset.

You will need new wax ring, or two. Cost: about $5.00. Also, a tube of latex caulk. Cost: $2.00.

Let us know what you want to do......Milo

Believe me, folks, I would love to fix it myself. I've read HOW to do it. But I'm not strong enough, sis can't help, and there are no men around. Why do you think I'm living with sis? LOL. Seriously, though. This is going to take a plumber... not because it isn't easy (if you're up to it) but because I'm not up to it physically. But it's like I said. The plumber's bill will be bad enough. If it's mold, can I just mop w/ bleach or??
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 14, 2009, 12:39 AM

You can call handyman. He may be less expensive than licensed plumber. Go to local ACE hardware and ask them for referral.

Once he lifts toilet, you clean the area, let dry and spray with anti-mold spray. Even Lysol will do. They claim on the label that Lysol kills most of the major molds.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 14, 2009, 08:09 AM
    Just in case you have a neighbor or friend that's handy here's how to set a toilet'
    Setting a toilet is a simple job. First pull the toilet and clean up the old wax seal. Put the closet bolts in the flange slots. Now place the new wax seal on the bottom of the stool and set the stool over the flange so the bolts come up through the holes in the base . Give the stool a twist to seat the seal. Now is the time,if you have china caps, to put the plastic locking wafer on the bolt first, Making sure the beveled side is down, now the washer and nut. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN as you can break the china. If you tighten it so that you can't twist it it's tight enough. Tie in the water and test for leaks. Final step is to take a small tube of DAP tub and tile caulk and grout around the base. Clean the excess off with a damp cloth. Congratulations, you have just set your commode. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terrified of a leash [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get my dog on a leash? He will not move when you put one on him, he is two years old & he has never had one on. Please help, tell me what I can do to ease his fear.

Landlord will not Clean mold or replace mold covered cabinate in a timely Manner [ 4 Answers ]

We have Mold in our rented house! We had a pipe break under our kitchen sink and the landlord came and fixed that about a month ago, and said he would be back to fix the cabinate under the sink. Well it is now COVERED in mold and its even growing in the drawers. We called and he came and "cleaned"...

I'm terrified of MICE [ 5 Answers ]

I live in the country across from a cornfield in eastern Nebraska. I have been here for 8 years and we normally will see a mouse once a year around this time, every year we have seen the mouse because one of my cats had it in his mouth or had it cornered. I have never worried about them because I...

View more questions Search