Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sean999 Posts: 117, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2015, 07:48 PM
    I've got irritable bowel syndrome.
    I've got irritable bowel syndrome. Because of being tour guide, I am so uncomfortable because of this disease. I want exact treatment. But most of the doctors recognise this disease as a kind of disorder not disease. Some of the people says that meditation can cure IBS. I like coffee, cold drinks and ice cream. But because of this disease, I reject those. Really like a hell.

Do you have some ideas?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 23, 2015, 08:18 PM
    I have it as well. There is no cure. It's important to avoid the trigger foods that cause flare ups.

Being a tour guide did not cause you IBS.

Mar 23, 2015, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I have it as well. There is no cure. It's important to avoid the trigger foods that cause flare ups.

Being a tour guide did not cause you IBS.

I mean this disease make me unhappy in my job.

You also know that this disease really make trouble although it is not dangerous disease.

However, thank you for commenting.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 24, 2015, 12:50 AM
    Have you tried the 12 week elimination diet tests?
    Make a list of the foods you suspect, and eliminate just one for 12 weeks. Repeat with each of the others.
    Not everyone is sensitive to the same foods and drinks as others.
    Sometimes it's one ingredient, such as carageenan in ice cream, and you can make your own without it.

I have an odd situation. For over 35 years, I have had chronic pain from a few scarred lumbar/sacral nerves irritating parts of my lower abdomen. They hit my bladder and bowel on the left side, and I pee a lot and move my bowels quite a bit. However, if I do something to irritate those nerves much more, peristalsis stops almost completely, and I get constipated instantly. Laxatives don't work. If it's excruciating pain, I can't go at all. The more mild the pain, the more I'm able to go. My NP thinks constipation is causing the pain - NOT SO. It's the other way around.

Given that IBS is often described as being related to 'muscle and nerve activity,' and it isn't well understood, I can believe that the nerves that affect the muscles and intestines can easily be irritated and cause all sorts of havoc.

My most recent event involved doing simple exercises. Bending sideways to the right (not something done in normal day to day activity) set off pain in an oblique muscle and associated nerves on my left abdomen, with most of the pain all around my bladder, pubis, and intestine under/behind that area. This event wasn't as serious as the last one, in which even Vicodin didn't help much for 18 days. Again, my BM activity changed instantly, but I still could go some.

In short, although people try all sorts of diets, I might wonder if it really is mostly a matter of all the multitude of ways that nerves in the abdomen can be irritated.
    Just my thoughts...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 24, 2015, 02:50 AM
    I have IBS also. Definitely avoid anything with small seeds as in tomatoes, sunflower seeds, etc. I find anything with small seeds are a trigger for my IBS (I also cannot eat green peas) and also find Ammodium A good relief for this. I know it is not a good condition, but if you are diligent and recognize the 'triggers' as J-9 said, it can be managed.

Mar 24, 2015, 04:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Have you tried the 12 week elimination diet tests?
    Make a list of the foods you suspect, and eliminate just one for 12 weeks. Repeat with each of the others.
    Not everyone is sensitive to the same foods and drinks as others.
    Sometimes it's one ingredient, such as carageenan in ice cream, and you can make your own without it.

I have an odd situation. For over 35 years, I have had chronic pain from a few scarred lumbar/sacral nerves irritating parts of my lower abdomen. They hit my bladder and bowel on the left side, and I pee a lot and move my bowels quite a bit. However, if I do something to irritate those nerves much more, peristalsis stops almost completely, and I get constipated instantly. Laxatives don't work. If it's excruciating pain, I can't go at all. The more mild the pain, the more I'm able to go. My NP thinks constipation is causing the pain - NOT SO. It's the other way around.

Given that IBS is often described as being related to 'muscle and nerve activity,' and it isn't well understood, I can believe that the nerves that affect the muscles and intestines can easily be irritated and cause all sorts of havoc.

My most recent event involved doing simple exercises. Bending sideways to the right (not something done in normal day to day activity) set off pain in an oblique muscle and associated nerves on my left abdomen, with most of the pain all around my bladder, pubis, and intestine under/behind that area. This event wasn't as serious as the last one, in which even Vicodin didn't help much for 18 days. Again, my BM activity changed instantly, but I still could go some.

In short, although people try all sorts of diets, I might wonder if it really is mostly a matter of all the multitude of ways that nerves in the abdomen can be irritated.
    Just my thoughts...

Thank you for your detail explanations. I really appreciate it. I will try 12 weeks eliminating habits. I wish that all of we overcome from this disease.

Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I have IBS also. Definitely avoid anything with small seeds as in tomatoes, sunflower seeds, etc. I find anything with small seeds are a trigger for my IBS (I also cannot eat green peas) and also find Ammodium A good relief for this. I know it is not a good condition, but if you are diligent and recognize the 'triggers' as J-9 said, it can be managed.

OK, Thank you
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 24, 2015, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean999 View Post
    I mean this disease make me unhappy in my job.

You also know that this disease really make trouble although it is not dangerous disease.

However, thank you for commenting.
    Sean, it is not a disease, it is a manageable condition

Mar 10, 2016, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesrichard723 View Post
    With simple changes in diet & lifestyle you can treat irritable bowel syndrome. There are medications that can help you to treat this disorder but they have side effects also. Check with your doctor before taking any medicine.
    Ok. Thank you. These days, I get better conditions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 10, 2016, 08:26 PM
    If you have IBS, it is not from being a tour guide. It is just because you have it. Eating strange, spicy or other unknown foods may make the issue worst.

If you (on the other hand) get or have trouble with food poisoning, infections from unclean water and the such, that is a different issue.
    I could tell you nightmare stories of my travel to Africa, and my first month in China.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 11, 2016, 02:30 PM
    Hi again! (A year later)

I hear that bacteria is now suspect in some cases, and that the right antibiotics have helped people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should you take your piercing out if its causing irritable bowel [ 2 Answers ]

Is it bad and should I take it out?

My daughter is almost 37 weeks pregnant. She suffers from irritable bowel syndrome an [ 0 Answers ]

My daughter is almost 37 weeks pregnant. She suffers from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. She has the abdominal cramps, bloating, etc. now that she is getting closer to her due date she wants to know how she will be able to tell what's the IBS and what is labor. Her history is; this is her 4th pregnancy....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome ? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been experiencing bloating practically ever since I can remember. Late afternoon-night is when you'll be asking yourself if I'm pregnant. And this happens almost every day. I have been trying to find a pattern in what I eat, but the only thing I found out that definitely causes bloating and...

Returning Symptoms of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) [ 2 Answers ]

Two years ago I was diagnosed with IBS and my symptoms were really bad up until beginning of this year such as stomach pains, diarrhea, constipation, and mainly vomiting a lot. After having it treated and things had seemed to be back to normal for several months, I noticed I have been feeling...

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) [ 6 Answers ]

I was recently diagnosed with IBS and was wandering want a good treatment plan might be or any good home remedies. Any thoughts?

View more questions Search