Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Jan 26, 2005, 08:15 PM
    More than players
    There are many sports careers. Most of them do not involve actually playing in the game. Trainers, coaches, strategists, scouts, and managers are just a few that are directly involved in sports without actually playing. Let's talk about the many ways to be involved... for profit.
    bballplayah Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2005, 09:31 PM
    Old coach
    Hi can you help me? How can I get closer to my dream to be in the wnba, I practice as much as I can but I can tseem to get my strength any higher.. I've tried slowly workign it up, using weights and everything! I do 10 pushups.. lmao can't do any more.. 3 times a day! Nothing seems to work can you help me?
    Air J Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2005, 08:24 PM
    http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/visualization.html

PS don't only do upperbody

Quick article I wrote

Strength

One thing many young athletes today lack strength in the weight room. Many can't squat there body weight even! To be a great athlete in Football, Baseball, Basketball, Tennis, Soccer and other sports you will need strength. In football you may need to break a tackle or tackle someone. In baseball you may need to rob a home run or hit a homerun. In basketball you may need to out jump someone for the rebound. In tennis you may need to serve the ball or you may need to run and backhand it back at your opponent. In soccer you may need to kick it past the goalie or you may have to run faster then your opponent to steal the ball away from him. Some ways to improve strength is to hit the weight room, not just men, women to can improve strength and not bulk up. If they wanted to they could. Men usually like to look strong and be strong. It doesn’t mean though you won't be strong if your not some huge bodybuilder. When people think of power they think of bodybuilders or people lifting cars up. Power=Strength x Speed. Okay back on topic many young athletes lack strength like I said before but usually have good speed. If you neglect strength but work on speed this could be you, a strength rating of 2 and a speed rating of 4. Power=8. Think if you just maintained your speed but added strength you could look like this, 4 speed and 3 strength now Power=12, so when training don’t forget one part of training usually strength is neglected so I used examples of that. One program what is good for strength is the “Westside for skinny Bastards” program.

Q and A

Will weightlifting stunt my growth?

NO. Studies have shown it will not but having bad form could reck your plates.

How do I start?

I would start with a very basic program like…..

Squats 2-3 x 10
    Bench 2-3 x 10
    Leg Curl 2 x 10
    Pull ups 2 x a little less then what you can do.

Deadlift 2-3 x 10
    Lat Pulldown 2 x 10
    Lunges 2 x 10
    Push ups 2 x a little less then what you can do.

Work on form more then how much weight you can put on. Also change this program every so while once you start platueing. This is very basic and not a great program but it can get you started.
    Will weights make you slow?

It may but just do plyometrics like lateral cone hop, box jumps, depth jumps, etc..

Do you have to squat 1.5 times your body weight to do plyometrics?

No that is mainly for high intensity plyometrics. H.I.=Depth jumps LI or MI=Rim Jumps Sprints.

I will answer more questions and go more in depth in other articles my next article will be about vertical jumping.
    Meh Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 05:48 PM
    I want to be a sports announcer, I really do I understand its hard to get lucky enough to get picked... but I really want to do it. I'm not camera shy, I can't act well ( I doubt that would be a major issue) First question: how do I get started? School? Try my luck? Second question: I know its going to take long to realize this dream but just how long? Third: would you recommend I go down another path?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Liverpool Players [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for the full name of the liverpool player whose nickname is Razor - not being a dedicated footie fan, I certainly don't recall the name, and most of my colleagues look at me blankly - know the nickname, not the full name

Some Players Play Big [ 3 Answers ]

Please Respond if you have ideas: My 14-year-old son is a 6-0 point guard and holds his own very well on the outside. However, he just can't compete when he gets inside, even if he is going against players smaller than he is. On the other hand, there are 5-11 players on his team that seem to be...

Mp3 players [ 1 Answers ]

I want to buy an mp3 player but I don't know which one I should get... I am willing so spend up to 0I need it to work with windows 98 I want it to hold at least around 1000 songs What would you recommend? Thanks!

CD players [ 2 Answers ]

Should you have two cd players on a computer? One to use as a read or play only and one as a cd burner? I run ME and am just curious about this. Or is a read write cd all I would need? What are YABBC tags? Thanks Chuck

View more questions Search