Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nannybaby41 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Surge Bar
    My friend has bought a surge protector bar... when he plugs it in an outlet the red light comes on but the green one does not... which means the outlet is not grounded.. is this safe to use or what should he do Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2008, 08:28 AM
    I have seen wall outlets that have bad grounds and I have seen surge protectors that are defective. It might be wise to pick up an outlet tester for a couple of dollars just to verify the outlet.

Without a ground, the surge protector doesn't have all the tools to do it's job. It can protect against common mode faults where both the neutral and ground potentials rise. It wouln't protect against ground to neutral faults and COULD cause a dirty reference to be delivered to multiple GROUNDED equipment such as computers and TV's that share the strip.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A surge [ 2 Answers ]

I realize some jobs should be left for the professionals. I want to try with a little help tackle this problem. My lamp post in front gone through over two dozen bulbs in 5 years. I am not sure what is causing the surge to short it out. We bought the house with this problem. I want to fix it. ...

B&S surge [ 1 Answers ]

My 18 hp B&S model 422707 is still surging.I have cleaned the carb.and set the enrichment screw.Any ideas out there? Jack

The surge is working [ 24 Answers ]

Is this really coming from al-AP? First of all, after 4 years of daily detailing the carnage, the chaos, the 'conspiracies' and 'abuses', I'm floored that al-AP would say the surge "is working." But then again, there comes a point when critics must acknowledge even the most unwelcome facts,...

The Iraq Surge [ 11 Answers ]

I find it interesting that Harry Reid and company would make comments about how "the surge is a failure", that the military leadership is "incompetent" and that we should get out of Iraq, just as all this military progress is being made there. Comments from all comers are appreciated. Elliot

View more questions Search