Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    withhope2010 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2010, 06:03 PM
    My "predicament" regarding registration and auto insurance for a new car - help!
    Urgent. I am going about a new car tomorrow, but I have a predicament! My Mother (a senior) is purchasing the new car, and it will be registered in her name, but I will be the sole driver - and the car will be mine. I will be repaying her monthly. She has a car which she seldom drives, and when she does, it is to the store and back. (her car is 23 years old!). But lately, because of her medical condition, there is a chance that she will soon loose the privilege of being allowed to drive a car. For personal reasons, I am unable to have the car registered in my name. I would like to know if it is possible for a person to buy a new car - registered in her name, but the person no longer be allowed to drive it for medical reasons? Also, could she still have auto insurance for this new car, but I would be indicated as the sole driver, but not the owner of the car? I appreciate any information, suggestions, and personal experiences regarding this "situation". Thank you very much!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 31, 2010, 06:10 PM

Sure she can register it in her name but how is the car being bought? Paying cash or installments? They take a huge risk. Why can't the car be registered in your name?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 31, 2010, 06:21 PM

First please do not post multiple questions. I've removed your dups.

Yes, a person can buy a car for another person's use. That has nothing to do with the purchase. But you will have to listed on the insurance as the primary driver.

However, if there are legal reasons you can't register the car in your name and this is a ploy to get around those reasons, you could find yourself in trouble.
    jbarnes1985 Posts: 26, Reputation: 10

May 31, 2010, 07:18 PM

Yes a car can be put into someone's name that doesn't drive. My mother-in-law owns a company and has never had a license but all the company vehicles are in her name. The DMV will register the car in her name but you will be the primary driver on the insurance. The main thing is finding an insurance company to write the policy. The insurance will be more expensive and she will have to fill out a form as well. But the insurance company will have all the information you need.

As far as buying a car you will have to pay cash or get a bank loan. Most car lots with on the lot financing (Buy Here/Pay Here) will not finance someone without a licence.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2010, 07:44 PM

She may buy the car, but if she is the listed and registered owner, the insurance policy will have to be in her name, with you listed as an additional driver, so you and her will be listed drivers.

And all of your drivers license and driving info will be needed by the issurnance company to cover you.

Also if you are trying to hide money from creditors and they see or find out what is happening, if you are actually paying for the car, the courts may rule that the car is legally your car.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 31, 2010, 08:27 PM

You should have a written contract between you and your mother.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2010, 05:56 AM

From my experience you cannot register a car in your name in NY if you do not have a valid drivers license.
    DeanJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2011, 09:56 PM
    Comment on jbarnes1985's post

A few automobile insurance companies are trying a new program that trades privacy for discounts. An insurance product called <a title="Reducing your level of privacy to decrease your insurance rates" href="http://www.cardealexpert.com/news-information/saving-money/pay-as-you-drive-insurance/"> pay-as-you-drive or usage-based insurance</a> can reduce costs. These savings can be as high as 30 percent. These savings, however, require minute-by-minute tracking of the customer's driving practices.

AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 08:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by withhope2010 View Post
    ... it will be registered in her name, but ... the car will be mine. ...
    No. It will be hers. So if the deal is that it's "really" your car, you had better have a written contract and something to that effect in her will.

... But lately, because of her medical condition, there is a chance that she will soon loose the privilege of being allowed to drive a car. ...
    DMV is aware of her condition and is going to pull her license? Or she probably won't be able to renew it?

... Also, could she still have auto insurance for this new car, but I would be indicated as the sole driver, but not the owner of the car? ...
    I see no reason to make a point of telling the insurance company she won't be driving. She simply should not drive it. Only reason to put you as the sole driver is if there is a premium hit for her to be shown as a driver on the policy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

Intertherm Electric Furnace Blower works in "on" not in "auto" [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Intertherm Electric Furnace E2EB-015AH. I came home from work last night, turned the heat on and it didn't work as advertised. I could hear the relays clicking occasionally so I investigated a little and found the elements are heating up and cycling, the relay inside the thermostat cycles...

Suing in CA When Insurance Deemed Car "Total Loss" [ 18 Answers ]

Hi Everyone: I have a question about suing the individual driver who caused this 3 car accident in the state of CA. I was the number 1 car that got rear-ended when the #3 car rear-ended #2 car and pushed #2 car into mine. Right now, #3 car's insurance deemed my car a total loss. However,...

Central heater will not work on "auto" and blows cool air when on "man" [ 2 Answers ]

OK my central heater blower will not come on at all when on auto, and when on manual/on it just blows cool air out of vents. I was told to put a jumper wire on (w) to (g)wires at the thermostat, (I think) to check it, but not sure exactly. Is that the thermostat on wall or what? The pilot light is...

View more questions Search