Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeffkchuckk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Is there capital gain on a inheritace sale then residence purchase
    I just sold a farm I inherited. I want to use the money now to purchase a home to live in. What kind of taxes will I have to pay? Is this considered capital gain if I use all the money made from the sale?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 12:42 PM
    The basis for that farm was "stepped-up" to the Fair Market Value (FMV) at the time of death of the decedent's estate. In effect, the appreciation on the farm from the date it was originally to the death date of the descendant was forgiven!

You MAY still have to pay a capital gains tax, but the basis of the farm is that FMV noted above, which means the basis is MUCH MORE than if the decedent sold the farm, so your capital gains tax will also be much less.

You can contact the executor of the estate to find out what the stepped-up FMV will be. Once you do the capital gains tax calculations, you will probably find that you owe little or no tax.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 06:16 PM
    There is no inheritance tax in the U.S. Your basis of the farm is its FMV on the date of death or any alternative date set by the estate administrator.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax on Inheritances
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 12:08 PM
    One other point - if this farm was your principal residence for at least 2 of the last 5 years you will avoid a significant portion (perhaps all) of any capital gain taxes that you would owe otherwise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journal entry for purchase and sale of property for sale [ 5 Answers ]

I purchase an apartment for $ 1.7m and paid first instalmment of 250k ,Before the second installment I sell the apartment at the value of 1.9m .Please tell me how to record the journal entry .

Capital gain tax on home sale [ 1 Answers ]

Do I owe taxes on the gain from my home sale?:confused:

Can you pruchase a residence through contract of sale during bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Looking to purchase double wide trailer and land from friend through contract of sale. Have been in bankruptcy for 1 1/2 years and wanting to forfit current home to mortgage company. Have money in 401k that could be borrowed for downpayment and land but not sure what the bk laws are with that. Any...

Capital gain tax - home sale and purchase [ 1 Answers ]

I am a permanent resident in USA for last 5 years. I sold my home in India in May end this year, and purchasing a home in USA by October end for much larger amount. Do I get any relief in INDIA from capital gain tax?

DC Tenant law/Sale of residence [ 4 Answers ]

My landlords have sold the residence in which I live and have asked me to leave. My lease is up although we had a verbal agreement when I moved in that the lease would be extended. I have now found my apartment listed on craigslist for rent at $500 more per month than I am paying. I was not...

View more questions Search