Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flgatunos Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2010, 02:48 PM
    Leak at wall/floor in slab house when rains - window? Slab crack?
    Hi, I have a slab house in Florida. I discovered that when it rains water comes in where the wall meets the floor. But there's a bit more - it's under the window, but also about a foot away from the window. The window has sliding panes, which I caulked shut. I also put a tarp over the window and outside framing. Still leaks. Only when raining, but not every time it rains. Sometimes the towels shoved in the crack are damp, sometimes they are soaking wet in a few minutes. Sometimes they are dry. The house previously had a slab leak, which was fixed. This leak seems to be related to rain, and there is no plumbing on the wall. The drywall doesn't seem to be wet, but it seems like the wood is flaking and falling down from the stud. The drywall doesn't seem moist. I put in a french drain and gravel on that side of the house, so there is no standing water that would come up above the foundation. (North facing). I already had a window guy out and he had no idea. So, is it the window and water still getting in around/through the tarp, or is it possible that water is seeping up through a crack in the slab? Thoughts? What type of professional should I even have evaluate the situation? A water/mold remediator? Another window person? A slab person? Assume no home warranty and no history from prior owners - foreclosure house. (yes, I had a home inspector, yes he was terrible). Oh - and I already replaced the entire roof this year (that fixed all the OTHER leaks that the home inspector overlooked but we found when we pulled out the carpet and vanities). It's been fun. Suggestions appreciated, other than getting rid of the house ;)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 03:08 PM

I'm not a construction expert but I see a lot of moisture problems day in and day out.

First, is the ground outside above the slab? Houses do settle below the grade.

Second, if the drywall isn't affected but the wood is then it's probably wicking it in from elsewhere. Have you checked the fascia on that side of the house?

Third, a little internet research might find a wet weather spring close to your foundation.

Just some thoughts on where to look for causes.
    flgatunos Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2010, 03:18 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure if the slab is below ground - the stucco has been brought down over the slab. But, I don't think so. I may be right at ground level, however. The ground is sand, about 0.5 miles in from the beach so I'm not aware of any spring that might be in that area. It's possible there is a crack in the stucco, and we have tried to caulk anything we see, including around the utility boxes on that wall. I think you may be right about the wicking. Seems like it may be either wicking down and out from the window, or up? Can wood wick up from a concrete foundation?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flgatunos View Post
    I think you may be right about the wicking. Seems like it may be either wicking down and out from the window, or up? Can wood wick up from a concrete foundation?
    That's how trees feed themselves. Wicking the length of the timber should be assumed, but from one timber to another might be problematic unless it's raw wood in contact with raw wood. Wicking from wet concrete up the timber is common.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 14, 2010, 04:13 PM
    Greetings from Sarasota.
    I just got to ask! You are sure it's rain water and not a under slab pressure leak? It doesn't sound like it but I just hadda ask.
    Now on to your ground water problem. A french drain,(see image) or a home made dry well,(see image), might just be your answer. Sound like a plan? Cheers, Tom
    Attached Images

wuffer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 09:06 PM
    Hi from Miami. I have almost the same problem only when it rains, but my leak is smack in the middle of my room. I have a flat roof that drains to one side of my room. I rain a rain gutter 30 feet to terminate at the furthest point from the leak. It helped a little but still have the problem. I have a feeling its from a cracked floor slab rain water must be pooling under the house and wicking up. I don't know who I should call to fix this problem and how much its going to cost.
    Crazydawg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 07:17 AM
    I live in Port ST John, FL and seem to be having the same problem. An my problems is right after a rain it seems I have a concrete guy coming today to check. He said this is not that uncommon with concrete slabs. I'll put up what he tells me.
    allwet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2012, 06:53 AM
    I have water coming from under my window, most likely from under the slab. Who do you call for this type of repair? What is the proper name for this type of contractor to fix water seepage coming from under the foundation?
    krex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2012, 02:50 PM
    Sure would appreciate your posting what you learn. We have had this happen in Odessa FL too... after Debby especially... I don't know what type of person to call...
    cabuz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2012, 09:18 AM
    You all seem to think it's the slab. I was thinking it may be the roof, somehow getting in and running down the walls. Is that possible?
    cabuz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2012, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Greetings from Sarasota.
    I just got to ask! You are sure it's rain water and not a under slab pressure leak? It doesn't sound like it but I just hadda ask.
    Now on to your ground water problem. A french drain,(see image) or a home made dry well,(see image), might just be your answer. Sound like a plan? Cheers, Tom
    I like this idea. If it's not my roof, it may just be the puddle that accumulates between my house and my neighbors. It may help if I can drain the water away. Thanks much.
    Tepi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2012, 08:13 AM
    Have you figured out the problem yet? We recently have bought a home in Austin. After a heavy rain there is a puddle of water on the floor near but away from the corner of the room. We have flat roof but not sure if that is the cause of the leak or is it coming from the slab?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 25, 2012, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by krex View Post
    Sure would appreciate your posting what you learn. We have had this happen in Odessa FL too....after Debby especially.....I don't know what type of person to call.....
    We can't help unless you post your complaint in detail. Back to you, Tom
    ghengber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2013, 12:18 AM
    I live in South Florida. Slab house with CBS walls (hollow). Having significant water leakage through baseboards on exterior wall (drywall is dry). It seems like there is some type of foundation crack. It soaked through a whole wall unit and desk before I knew it was happening.

Anyway, I have 2 questions:
    1. What type of contractor do I call to inspect/this this type of leak; and
    2. Is any of this covered by Homeowner's insurance?

Thank you
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2013, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ghengber View Post
    I live in South Florida. Slab house with CBS walls (hollow). Having significant water leakage through baseboards on exterior wall (drywall is dry). It seems like there is some type of foundation crack. It soaked through a whole wall unit and desk before I knew it was happening.

Anyway, I have 2 questions:
    1. What type of contractor do I call to inspect/this this type of leak; and
    2. Is any of this covered by Homeowner's insurance?

Thank you
    Wallboard is dry yet it soaked through a wall unit and desk? Wall crack or roof leak would allow water to run down. Foundation crack would normally show up at floor level.
    Waterproofing or roof contractor would be a place to start. Not typically covered by insurance. "Sudden and accidental " is basis of most claims.
    toniatbella Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2013, 04:02 PM
    I'm having the same problem too. Only it took a long time for me to notice because the walk-through shower is where the leak is so water is typically there anyway. I'm not sure where to start but I hope it's not too expensive.
    As far as insurance I can say definitively that it is not covered under your homeowners policy (licensed agent).
    Good luck.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jun 7, 2013, 07:08 PM
    Check the roof line where the soffets are. Very possible that the water is coming down between the siding AND the sheathing. (Or between the Stucco and sheathing) If water were intruding along the slab and wall, there would be soaking of the drywall at the floor line also.
    toniatbella Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2013, 06:06 AM
    Wow OK. Thank you and will do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen water leak out between slab and brick wall [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: Hi! And Help! Just discovered a water leak on our kitchen which had developed overnight (no appliances on). Checked under the sink/dishwasher/floor area-- all connections dry-- no leaks in sink-- The water is collecting on the tile floor in a low spot from under a shelf unit near...

Rain leak on floor of concrete slab, no plumbing beneath [ 1 Answers ]

My concrete slab has no plumbing under it. It's an addition to the house (outside breezway turned into a room - between garage and house). House was built in 1940's in Michigan. We have a leak on the floor by the doorwall, only when it rains. Cannot see where the water is coming in. The carpet...

Water Leak in Concrete Slab Floor [ 1 Answers ]

I live in San Jose, CA in a 10-year old home with concrete slab foundation. I noticed wetness in the carpet in the guest closet. The closet is in the middle of the first floor and far away from any tap/faucet/bathroom. I removed the carpet and found that the floor is wet. After thoroughly...

Clogged laundry room floor drain - slab house [ 2 Answers ]

What a watery mystery I have in my laundry room. Whenever my washing machine empties the tub of water it backs up into the nearby floor drain. I had a plumber out and he snaked the drain (not through the roof vent, but throughout the cleanout by the floor drain). Because he only had a 50' snake...

Leak under carpeted slab by bathroom door - does slab have to be ripped up? [ 2 Answers ]

Could the leak be caused from something else? There is no water on bathroom floor, but could it be the toilet seal? Or a clogged vent backing up water or sewer? Help, we don't have much money and need answers fast.

View more questions Search