Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    batas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Sample tips for foreigners who wants to claim their dependents for tax purposes.
    I just want to share my experience in filing my tax return. I'm a foreigner working in the United States. If your spouse and child/children are not in the U.S. and you want to claim them as your dependents for tax purposes, here's what I did:

1. Instead of filing my returns through mail, I visited the local IRS in my area.
    2. If your spouse and child/children don't have an ITIN, then bring their original passports with you when going to the IRS office. This is for W7 application.
    3. At first, I was told by an IRS employee that I cannot claim my spouse and child as my dependents because my country doesn't have any treaty with the U.S. I told them to get a copy of "tax guide for aliens" and I'll show them that I don't need any kind of treaty just to claim my spouse and child as my dependents.
    4. DON'T always rely on the answer from the IRS customer service or their employees.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 10:39 AM
    This is the rule:
    If you are resident for tax purpose, then you can file resident tax return as Married Filing Jointly and claim your kids even if your spouse and kids are non residents.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Mar 29, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Neither of the posts above is correct.

A dependent must be a citizen or resident of the US, or resident of Canada or Mexico.

Your spouse may be a non-resident but they would need to elect to be a resident in order for you to file MFJ.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 04:31 AM
    Please read page 26 of Publication 17; col. 1 Adobted child, col. 2, Child's place of residence.
    If you legally adopt a child (foreign child), this test is met... Children usually are citizen or residents of...
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Mar 31, 2008, 05:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    Please read page 26 of Publication 17; col. 1 Adobted child, col. 2, Child's place of residence.
    If you legally adopt a child (foreign child), this test is met... Children usually are citizen or residents of ...
    MukatA, the example you are quoting relates to a specific instance where a US citizen adopts a foreign child. It does not fit with the example provided by the OP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1 with family not in US to claim as dependents [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I am an H1B, I came here in US June 2007, I have wife and kids in the philippines, I have apply them for H4 but still pending. Can I claim them as my dependents? If yes, what are the documents I need to do that. Thanks, Reyn

Tax purposes [ 3 Answers ]

If a parcel of land that was originally purchased for $85,00 is offered for sale at $150,000, is assessed for tax purposes at $95,000, is recognized by its purchasers as easily being worth $140,000, and is purchased for $137,000, the land should be recorded in the purchaser's books at:

Want to claim parents from India as dependents [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have read many posts on this website for claiming parents as dependents for tax filing in U.S. I want to present my case since I am not able to conclude whether I can claim my parents or not: 1) I am an Indian Citizen working on H1B in U.S. I am single -unmarried yet and I need to file...

Can I claim my parents as dependents on my tax return [ 2 Answers ]

I am a H1 holder. My parents came to visit me from China since last October. Is it possible for me to claim them as dependents on my 2007 tax return?

Retired, receiving social security benefits, can I claim 3 dependents and get money? [ 3 Answers ]

My father is retired and only collects about $900 a month in social security benefits (his only income) and has 3 kids under the age of 18, can he still claim them as 3 dependents and get money even though his social security benefits are not taxable? Thanks.

View more questions Search