Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Judy1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Can I claim my parents as dependents on my tax return
    I am a H1 holder. My parents came to visit me from China since last October. Is it possible for me to claim them as dependents on my 2007 tax return?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 09:50 PM
    Do you provide more than half of that person's support?

Are they citizens or resident aliens? (AKA are they legal residents)

If so, there may be other requirements but those are the big ones, if the answer is yes to both of those questions, talk to your tax preparer or do some research and you should be able to see how you can claim them as dependents.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Agrred with paying HALF of their total support.

They must be considered legal residents, which means they HAVE to be in the U.S. for at least 183 days in the calendar year.

Since they came in October 2007, they CANNOT meet that requirement, so you CANNOT claim them as dependents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claim my parents as dependent for tax return [ 7 Answers ]

I am a green card holder. My parents from China stayed with us for more than six month in 2006. Can I claim them as dependents for the tax file of year 2006? If yes, what should I do? Thank you very much, Helen

Dependents on Tax Return [ 1 Answers ]

In 2000, when I divorced my ex, the court ordered me to claim my oldest every year on my return and the second on the odd years. My ex claimed them this year and I wanted to know if she could override that court order? She did it before and I received my taxes but I don't know what's going on. Can...

L1 visa tax return filing for dependents, self [ 1 Answers ]

I was on L1 visa work permit in US, Foreign National from Jan 2006 - Mar 2006 and Jun 2006 - Sep 2006. My wife and my kid stayed with me for the entire period. She was on L2visa. I have received my W2, and would like to know few things about tax return 1) Was my wife eligible to apply for SSN...

L1 visa tax return filing for dependents, self [ 1 Answers ]

Iam on L1 visa workpermit in US, Foreign National, resident alien, (2005-2006) worked from sep-05 to Apr-06 as Single status (ie,. I did not bring my dependents). Returned to home country in 2006 April, and back to US again in Oct-06 to till date with dependents (ie wife + kids). I received my...

View more questions Search