Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gparker26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Finding a current of a stream
    How do you find the curent of a stream when you are given the speed of the boat and the angle in which it is pointed
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Sep 7, 2006, 05:18 PM
    I think you need one more piece of information. I suspect that you have been given the angle of the boat (with respect to the stream current), the speed of the boat wrt the water, and the speed of the boat wrt the ground. This is a problem in addition (or subtraction) of vectors.

Velocity is speed plus direction. If you have two velocities, regardless of what direction they are in, they can be added together. Say you're on a train moving west at 3mph. Inside the train, you get up and walk across the aisle (north) at 4mph. While moving, what is your total velocity with respect to the ground? Draw an arrow pointing west with length 3. From the head of this arrow, draw another pointing north with length 4. Measure the distance from the tail of the first arrow to the head of the second. The length of this arrow is your total speed, and the angle is your direction. Velocity is speed plus direction.

Your problem is probably very similar, but with the hypotenuse and one of the sides given. Also, the angle is not a right angle. No matter. You should know enough trigonometry to solve for the third side of a triangle, given two sides and an angle.
    tucsonmac Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2006, 11:48 AM
    If the speed of the boat you mean the speed at the given angle, this would be the resultant of the speed of the boat in the water directed straight across, and the speed of the current at right angles, or down stream. If that is the case the take the angle and resolve the speed into its components.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Current Ratio [ 1 Answers ]

How would the following actions affect a firm’s current ratio? 1. A customer prepays in full for specially ordered merchandise that it will take 60 days to manufacture. 2. Inventory is sold at the firm’s normal 35% markup cost.

Percocet in blood stream [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone here have any idea how long a percocet will stay in the blood stream? I am asking because my sister lost a baby when she was almost 6 months along. Very sad, But I think she may have been popping these pills during her pregnancy. She SAYS that her tox. Came back clean, that she had nothing...

Current Bird Flu [ 3 Answers ]

Hello friend ,I am jora .At this time I am living in Asia but I heard that bird flu infection is very fast spread in that country. But I don’t have more information about bird flu. Please anyone tell me about bird flu and how to prevent flu infection.

Measuring Electrcal Current [ 7 Answers ]

Why the voltage of an electrcal current is awys measured in multiple of eleven

Current electricity [ 1 Answers ]

Why metal conduct electricity rather than a wood?THANK YOU!

View more questions Search