Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetp01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2011, 10:30 PM
    Child support owed by deceased parent?
    Am I entitled to land that was owned by my deceased father due to back child support
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2011, 08:01 AM

No - UNLESS there is a judgment against him.

Is there?
    bigbrew82 Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Mar 27, 2011, 05:57 PM
    Not at all you would have to claim against the estate
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2011, 06:03 PM

First you as the child do not have any claim at all.

Your mother would have a claim against the estate, and if the probate of the court honors the claim money or property from the estate would have to be used to cover the debt
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2011, 04:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    First you as the child do not have any claim at all.

Your mother would have a claim against the estate, and if the probate of the court honors the claim money or property from the estate would have to be used to cover the debt

Depends on the State - in NY without a Judgment the Estate is not going to be forced to pay. The Probate Court in my area has taken the position that if the non-custodial parent didn't bother to pursue past-due support the Probate Court isn't going to either.

And, no, in any situation I can't see the Court handing over land. Liquidate, perhaps - if the debt is somehow acknowledged.

And FrChuck is right - the non-custodial parent has the claim, not the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When parent fails to maintain contact and support to child. Step parent adoption [ 3 Answers ]

My husband got sole custody of his son at 7 months because at 1 month old his biological mother spiral fractured his left femur and he 2 years old now. Im his step mother and his primary caregiver. I love him more than anything in the world like he was my own child and he calls me mom. I want to...

Child support owed by deceased parent [ 4 Answers ]

I am the custodial parent, my daughter is grown and her father just passed away in dec 2007. He owes back child support for several years, a little oevr 40,000.00, my daughter is grown and does not live with me any,ore and the father was having monies taken out of his check whenever the atty...

What is fla law regarding bio child of a now deceased parent if the child was legally [ 4 Answers ]

Child residing in fla was legally adopted by the spouse of his divorced mom--recently bio father died intestate is the child still entitled under 732.108 statute

Deceased parent - back support [ 1 Answers ]

I see many answers supporting the fact that back child support is due to the obligee/ custodial parent for their past expenses of raising the child(ren). But what if that parent has died? Not the NC, obligor, paying parent, but the one whom support is owed. What if the County CSEA has been...

View more questions Search