Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superstar18 Posts: 380, Reputation: 5

May 6, 2016, 12:47 PM
    Interview help
    I have a job interview today, but I'm kind of stuck in a situation with my other job. So the job I have an interview for is a full time job and the job I'm working at now is part time. My boss plans out months in advance for days I'm working. They are all overnights though. I would like to give my boss a two weeks notice, but I would feel bad for just leaving and not having anybody to do those overnights. Should I just tell her in two weeks I can't work during the day anymore and then give like a months notice for the night shifts?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 6, 2016, 01:06 PM
    Why would you give notice? You just have a job interview, not a new job. Or am I missing something?

May 6, 2016, 01:15 PM
    Well I'm just saying if I get this new job, I'm not sure what I would do.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 6, 2016, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by superstar18 View Post
    Well I'm just saying if I get this new job, I'm not sure what I would do.
    When would your new company expect you to start? Your current boss will hire your replacement or move another employee into your job.

May 6, 2016, 02:23 PM
    I'm assuming after I give my boss a two weeks notice and I'm hoping she could find a replacement because she doesn't really have anybody working for her.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 6, 2016, 04:00 PM
    This is why bosses get paid the big bucks, to deal with manpower issues, and deal with sudden changes to the schedule. Maybe you can work a full time job and work nights until she gets someone but whether you can or not she still has to fill the schedule with a replacement.

Give your two week notice or whatever is fair (Or company policy), and the boss can do what she has to do. Lay your cards on the table and see what she says.

May 6, 2016, 05:43 PM
    Alright thank you for your answer. You're right! I'm just one of those people who feel bad in certain situations. I'm really close to my boss, but the hours aren't working and I'm not getting paid good at all. I get self employment taxes which is weird because I have a boss,but it winds up costing me in the end.I think I'll just tell her that I won't be able to work during the day after two weeks and then I'll just do nights for a month or so. The interview went really good so I'll most likely get the job.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 6, 2016, 08:13 PM
    You simply just give a two week notice. You tell your boss that your last shift of work will be June 1, for example.

I work nights and would never consider working a full time job AND working nights until the night position was filled. That would not motivate your employer to fill that night position and you risk being taken advantage of. Not to mention that it wouldn't be safe to work a full time day job and filling an overnight position.

But, don't put the cart before the horse. You haven't even interviewed yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

For a ROTP / RMC interview what questions would I be asked at the interview [ 0 Answers ]

I need help with preparing for the ROTP / RMC interview - how can I prepare. What are the officers interviewing looking for?

Don't interview very well, interview with AIG IN THE MORNING SECOND INTERVIEW [ 1 Answers ]

Don't interview very well, interview with AIG IN THE MORNING SECOND INTERVIEW

Getting a divorce before 1st interview of marriage based green card interview [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm living in america since 2003 decemeber, 1st I had a f1 then I transfer to h1b and now I'm on marriage based green card status, I'm getting a divorce to my wife and my interview 1st interview is due in a week ,what's going to happen to my status after that I have no criminal record no bad...

View more questions Search