Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shyshy96 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 11:05 AM
    Cost moving mobile home
    Can anyone tell me what it cost to move a mobile home in Florida?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2009, 11:39 AM

If this is a single wide you'll probably end up spending around $5,000 or so.

If this is a double wide you'll probably end up spending around $10,000 or so.

The cost all depends on how far you are moving the home and if the new location needs any preparation work such as a concrete slab (expensive) or concrete pillars (3'x2') poured in the ground.

The actual cost for the move is not that much for the transport of the home.

The real costs come in at the other end such as electrical hook ups, water and sewer hook ups and lot prep. If you are moving the home from one mobile home park to another it is not that expensive versus moving it to a private lot.

The double wide must be "torn down" or taken apart by a crew who does this for a living. If they take the home apart at one end they should be the ones putting the home back together again.

I worked at a manufactured home dealer here in Ohio and was involved in all aspects of tear down, move and relocate the home whether it was new or used.

The older the home is the more likely the home won't be the same as it was originally was. Homes before 1995 are hard to move, especially the double wides as they tend to never go back together properly. Single wide homes are much easier to prep for a move and much easier to move and then set up again at the new location.

I would suggest that you go and visit a local manufactured home dealer and discuss your move with them as they have the personnel available to them to subcontract out the move. The home needs to be properly prepped before moving and that means securing the appliances in the home, etc. The double wides must be torn down and then the open half of the home is wrapped with very thick plastic to withstand the move on the highway and to keep out any rain from damaging the inside. The home must be professionally leveled as well otherwise the home will never be right and everything inside will warp and shift such as doors no longer closing or opening properly. There are also permits that need to be pulled in order for the home to be on the highways. Counties must be notified and permits issued as well.

The dealer will quote you a price for tear down and moving the home. You could also ask about all the steps involved. If you do not have a licensed electrician at the other end to properly wire up your home, you could use the dealer's subcontractor. Same with the water connection.

I don't know about Florida's laws (I owned a large double wide in South Florida about 10 years ago) now, but I do know that in Ohio you must have a member of the Ohio Manufactured Homes Commission move and set up your home. The Commission issues a "seal" that is put inside the home after the move and the home is inspected for the required inspections such as electrical, water, disposal, and height and steps at each entrance.

If you could give me the scenerio of the home and where you want to put it I maybe can help you more on this topic.
    shyshy96 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 09:33 AM
    It is a single wide trailer and all I need is transport. I have someone to do the tear down and setup. Mostly myself, but I also have a few friends one a electrician and another is a plumber. I need it moved from around Ocala to Oak Hill, which is south of Daytona Beach. Im not sure on the mileage but Ocala is like in the middle of the state and a little closer to the west coast , but it is almost a straight shot across to the east coast where I'm going. Thank You for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    If this is a single wide you'll probably end up spending around $5,000 or so.

If this is a double wide you'll probably end up spending around $10,000 or so.

The cost all depends on how far you are moving the home and if the new location needs any preparation work such as a concrete slab (expensive) or concrete pillars (3'x2') poured in the ground.

The actual cost for the move is not that much for the transport of the home.

The real costs come in at the other end such as electrical hook ups, water and sewer hook ups and lot prep. If you are moving the home from one mobile home park to another it is not that expensive versus moving it to a private lot.

The double wide must be "torn down" or taken apart by a crew who does this for a living. If they take the home apart at one end they should be the ones putting the home back together again.

I worked at a manufactured home dealer here in Ohio and was involved in all aspects of tear down, move and relocate the home whether it was new or used.

The older the home is the more likely the home won't be the same as it was originally was. Homes before 1995 are hard to move, especially the double wides as they tend to never go back together properly. Single wide homes are much easier to prep for a move and much easier to move and then set up again at the new location.

I would suggest that you go and visit a local manufactured home dealer and discuss your move with them as they have the personnel available to them to subcontract out the move. The home needs to be properly prepped before moving and that means securing the appliances in the home, etc. The double wides must be torn down and then the open half of the home is wrapped with very thick plastic to withstand the move on the highway and to keep out any rain from damaging the inside. The home must be professionally leveled as well otherwise the home will never be right and everything inside will warp and shift such as doors no longer closing or opening properly. There are also permits that need to be pulled in order for the home to be on the highways. Counties must be notified and permits issued as well.

The dealer will quote you a price for tear down and moving the home. You could also ask about all the steps involved. If you do not have a licensed electrician at the other end to properly wire up your home, you could use the dealer's subcontractor. Same with the water connection.

I don't know about Florida's laws (I owned a large double wide in South Florida about 10 years ago) now, but I do know that in Ohio you must have a member of the Ohio Manufactured Homes Commission move and set up your home. The Commission issues a "seal" that is put inside the home after the move and the home is inspected for the required inspections such as electrical, water, disposal, and height and steps at each entrance.

If you could give me the scenerio of the home and where you want to put it I maybe can help you more on this topic.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 31, 2009, 09:40 AM

Here are 3 companies in Ocala that move mobile homes, get a quote from all of them and you'll know exactly how much it is going to cost.

Barrett Mobile Home Transport
    2300 SW 38th Ave, Ocala
    (352) 873-0046

Continental Axle Products
    4600 W Highway 326, Ocala
    (352) 351-2952

Action Transporters
    14921 SW 4th Ave, Ocala
    (352) 307-9102
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2009, 10:57 AM

Make sure everything in the single wide is properly "strapped down" or better yet, move all the furniture (small stuff) is either transported separately or properly packed in moving boxes and secured inside the home. This would be things like lamps, etc.

You can travel behind your home if you know exactly when it will be transported as well. Make sure that the home is not transported on days that there is not a storm or high wind. A high profile vehicle such as the mobile home will be literally blown all over the road. We never transported homes on rainy days or high windy days. Rainy days meant slick roadways.
    flyinghun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shyshy96 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what it cost to move a mobile home in florida?
    To isle la motte,Vermont
    aarthur Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Oct 21, 2010, 04:13 AM
    Just visit some of the helping website of some home movers and easily compile the rates of them. http://www.helpiammoving.com http://www.hall-lane.com http://www.unitedvanlines.com
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2010, 03:10 PM
    These movers do NOT move mobile homes anywhere. Never have so don't waste your time calling them.
    aarthur Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Oct 25, 2010, 04:06 AM
    These movers do NOT move mobile homes anywhere. Never have so don't waste your time calling them.
    Did you surf on these websites or no?
    JLucas2012 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2013, 08:32 AM
    I've actually never considered the cost of moving a mobile home before. My wife and I recently used some movers in Madison, WI when we relocated, and I believe I remember seeing an advertisement in their office about mobile homes. The best thing to do is to research moving companies in your area and see which ones offer this service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Moving a mobile home [ 1 Answers ]

I sold a mobile home approx 90 days ago and the people who bought it have still not moved it I was wondering how long they had by law to move it off my property

Replacement Cost Policy Mobile Home Florida [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a percentage of loss in relation to the stated replacement cost policy limit that triggers the insurer obligation to deem the mobile home a total loss.

Conversion of mobile home to single family home [ 5 Answers ]

In 1995, we bought some land & moved a salvaged mobile home on it. The mobile wasn't permanent meaning we only needed to live in it until we could build our house. We first added onto the mobile a 12x60 section. We then began to tear down the mobile home & eventually added a front section. The...

Garden Tub Faucet - Home of Legend mobile home [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My sister has a leaky garden tub faucet. We can't determine how to access under the faucet. There is no access door. A closet is behind the faucet. When we remove the wallboard, we find the distance from the opening to the faucet too far away to access. Can you help? Thanks, Mary

View more questions Search