Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimni2008i Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 11:07 PM
    Heat pump not heating properly
    My Carrier heat pump is not working properly. The air flow coming out the vents is drastically lower than it normally is. The maximum room temperature achivable is 65 degrees when the outside temperature is 20 degrees even when the auxiliary heat is on and with constant running. The air filters are clean. The unit is less than 2 years old and was installed in a new house.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2008, 11:33 PM

At 2 years old, it should be under warranty,since you are sure the filter is clean,could be a problem with the blower motor,, at 20 degrees the heat pump won`t be of much help, so ,yes the aux heat should be doing a much better job, is the aux heat electric or gas furnace? This would be a need to know in order to help you,, is the aux/furnace also 2 years old?
    jimni2008i Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 10:11 PM
    The auxiliary heat is electric. The auxiliary heat is included and is part of the Carrier heat pump.
    farnumc Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 04:59 PM

I would check the reversing valve. You can tap on it lightly with a scewdriver handle, maybe the slide is stuck. Another problem is to check the connection at the reversing valve. Disconnet it then reconnect it you should hear a distinct sound. Another thing to check is the thermostat and make sure it is hooked up properly. I believe the blue wire is for ememergency haet.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 30, 2008, 05:25 PM

Were filter neglected for two years? If so, cond/evap coil could be plugged, not likely. If temp outside is low enough, compressor won't even kick on (on some heat pump units), so you are left strictly with electric backup. But your problem sounds like an airflow problem. Are you sure airflow has decreased, or just the temp of air coming out.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2008, 06:36 PM

Post is over a month old,, I would hope its fixed by now,:)
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 31, 2008, 05:13 PM

Good call, I didn't even look at post date. Hope they are warm and fuzzy. Would have been nice for them to let the nice folks here know how it turned out. Oh well, not the first time and won't be the last.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump is cooling but not heating [ 5 Answers ]

I've noticed since winter has started my heat pump is not acting correctly. I have troubleshot the problem and cooling is indeed working fine. Although, when you switch to heating, the outside unit engages but the temperature at the register never rises above room temp. When you set it on...

Heating & Air conditioning: Heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

How heat pump work on HVAC system ? Thanks

My heat pump AC works but not on heating cycle [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2-story house in AZ and there are 2 Lennox (sic?) heat/AC pumps, one for each floor... it has 2 Honeywell TH8000 thermostats. Last winter there wasn't any problems but tonight it started getting cold so I turned it from cool setting to heat, I can hear relays in the TS click and it says...

Heat pump not cooling or heating properly [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my Rheem heat pump. The indoor unit seems to be fine and the blower motor is running. The outside unit seems to be the problem. The fan only runs part of the time sometimes not kicking on at all other time kicking on for several minutes then kicking off before the temp is...

Heat Pump not heating house -fan is running [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Ruud heat pump that is 12-13years old & as of the last few days, it does not seem to be heating the house very well but it has been very cold for this part of the country. It works well when the outside temp is above 50 degrees. It has been in the upper 30's and low 40's. We put on the...

View more questions Search