Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbhuffaker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Green board sheet rock VS cement board for show wall backing
    I was wondering if the green sheet rock will do just as well as cement board for installing in a show that I'm planning on tiling?
    shudama Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kbhuffaker
    I was wondering if the green sheet rock will do just as well as cement board for installing in a show that I'm planning on tiling?
    Cement board is the best choice. Green board will swell if not installed correctly and cause problems. All things considered, material is cheap. Labor is a big expense to install and then replace 5 yrs down the road.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Dec 1, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Nope there no substitute for cement board where water will make contact, the water will go through the grout and in time damage the sheetrock then rott the studs.
    Green board is not water proof, its just mildrew restistant
    MsVilla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2013, 07:07 PM
    Great answers guys! I renovate houses and I can't tell you how many times I've pulled down old shower tile just to have to rebuild the whole wall (or at minimum, the studs) behind it because they used greenboard instead of Durock or equal. I'm a girl, so I go around and around with builders and contractors about this. They think I don't know what I'm talking about. They insist that greenboard is fine. My response... they're not the ones pulling it out down the road.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I Paint Cement Board Now, and Tile Later? [ 2 Answers ]

I am finishing a new shower, I used a pre-fab shower enclosure set and would like to tile the walls and ceiling over the shower in the long run. For now though, I'd like to wrap it up. I know I can prime and paint the backerboard but I don't know if this makes it unsuitable for tiling over later....

Taping cement board joints [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know what kind of compound to use on cement board?I've checked the USG FAQ site and they recommend 'glass tape for the joints, I see no mention of compound, other than to say that joint compound is not acceptable because cb is generally used in damp areas and the joint compound won't...

Cement board [ 1 Answers ]

I plan on installing cement board behind a wood burning open stove on an outside deck. Do I need backing behing the cement board and can it be colored using high temp paint?

Wallpaper over cement board [ 1 Answers ]

Can I wallpaper over new cement board and if so, how do I prepare the board? Thanks.

Can I Paint over Cement Board? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are installing (or reinstalling, actually) a shower in the basement. I am tiling the walls and floor, but I don't want to tile the ceiling. Can we use some of the left-over cement backerboard for the ceiling and paint it? I'd rather use the cement board because of it's water...

View more questions Search