Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    niwhsa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2011, 08:12 AM
    Does the number of BTUs required to cool a room vary between cooling methods?
    Does the number of BTUs required to cool a room vary between cooling methods?

For instance, should a central HVAC system provide more or less BTUs than a window or wall unit?

The reason I ask is that a HVAC vendor is claiming the BTUs required to cool a room is twice that of wall unit manufacturers.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2011, 12:52 PM
    it takes 12,000 btu`s to make what we call a ton,18,000btu`s = 1.5 tons. It is the same wheather it is a window unit,, through the wall unit, or a split system / central ac unit. A central unit is much more efficient because they can distribute the same amount of btu`s into more rooms or area,when you are using a window or through the wall unit they normaly are used to cool only one room or not much more than that. To cool a second room or area you would probably have to make the room where unit is located much cooler than some would like it so as the cool air would get into the second room or area. So in other words if the air is ducted to other rooms through a central system you can get more use out of a smaller BTU system,, not for sure if this will help to answer your question or not

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Well sealed room won't cool [ 2 Answers ]

I spent hours of labor making sure my shop area (190 sq ft) was well sealed as to not let any hot air in or cold air out. I am cooling with a 25,000 BTU unit. The problem is I have a service counter with a sliding window that I installed so I could air condition the room. When this window is closed...

Is there a way to set the themostat for the temp to vary a certain number of degree's [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Honeywell magicstat and would like to know how to set it so the temp in the house will vary about 3 degrees. For instance I would like the heat to be set at 68, I would like the furnace to kick on at 67 and shut off at 70. Hoping to stop the cycling so much. Can I do this, I looked in them...

Window AC barely cooling my room. [ 7 Answers ]

This is the problem I am having. It's hot and I want to use my AC and it turns on normally but doesn't do much of a job of cooling my room, in fact it doesn't really cool it down much at all. I will give yesterday as an example. It reached about 99F outside and with my AC on full blast I was...

Why Won't Window A/C Cool Room? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 7-year-old Carrier window air conditioner (6000 BTU) that seems to work okay, yet it doesn't cool my 1,400 cu. ft. room. It produces cold air (though my wife thinks it's not as cold as before), and the last time I used it--about 2 years ago--it could freeze a room. Now it can only...

Air conditioning- one room in home does not cool equally [ 5 Answers ]

Our air conditioning unit is located outside, looks like its just a fan, and has two tubes running to it. All air conditioning vents/ ducts are in the ceiling. One room in our home however does not cool anywhere near as well as the rest of the house. This room is located furthest away from the unit...

View more questions Search