Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TSAN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 09:14 AM
    Ex-girlfriend Won't Leave
    I purchased a townhouse about 7 months ago. My then girlfriend moved in with me. My sister and her husband also live with me. Things aren't working out with my girlfriend and I asked her to leave but she refuses. She has a child who may be mine (not sure, am going to request paternity test). She has made threatening remarks to my sister. I have called police on her but they say that she does not have to leave----how can I get her out?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 26, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Did she contribute anything to the purchase of the townhouse? Does she have any documentation allowing her to stay there? What reason did the police give that she didn't have to leave?

Generally, without any lease or proof that she paid rental or otherwise contributed to the household, she is nothing more than a guest. Guests can be asked to leave and put out if they don't. If she refuses she's a trespasser and the police should remove her.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Oct 26, 2006, 10:14 AM
    A clear cut case; I think not...
    No one would through a mother and child on the streets. If it's your child then it's even more difficult.

Just cause your not married doesn't mean she will not get 'half'. The way I see it is the townhouse is half hers. If you want her out, buy her out!
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Oct 27, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TSAN
    I purchased a townhouse about 7 months ago. My then girlfriend moved in with me. My sister and her husband also live with me. Things aren't working out with my girlfriend and I asked her to leave but she refuses. She has a child who may be mine (not sure, am going to request paternity test). She has made threatening remarks to my sister. I have called police on her but they say that she does not have to leave----how can I get her out?
    Schdule the paternity test immediately. If the child is not yours, change the locks on the TH and don't give her a key.

If the child is yours, you need to establish your paternal rights and make arrangements to pay child support.
    mjinms Posts: 39, Reputation: 0

Dec 23, 2006, 10:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TSAN
    Well, since she is with a new born child and you took on financial responsibilities by the act of allowing her to live with you, regardless of who's child it is, you have placed obligation by your actions. The law sees a pregnant women as a responsibility of the man that convents her. So you can't just kick her out. Sorry. You knew she was pregnant and you took her in. period. No if or ands about it. If you adopt a pet and treat it poorly, with neglect you can't dismiss your responsibilities. You can't change your mind. You have to fix it. You are guilty by association. If the child is yours you will have to pay child support and alimony because they won't let her live on wellfare if you prove fatherhood. You would come out cheaper by her being a roommate. Try to be civil and don't let your family be brought into your situation. It will cause problems. People have problems when they are around each other for a long period no matter what. If you are mad at her , kicking her out won't make you look good if the resullts show you are the father.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When to know you should leave [ 24 Answers ]

Need advice from anyone at this point.. I have been married for nine years, for seven years in the marriage my husband has been doing everything for every one but his family. He has left me so lonely that about a few years ago, I went to visit family and ran into an old friend. Yes a male...

I Want The Roommate To Leave! [ 8 Answers ]

I live in the state of virginia and have a verbal agreement with a guy who is renting out my spare room. I never had him sign a lease agreement. He is just a roommate. Now I want him to leave. He is behind on his rent. His dog uses my house as it's own toilet. I walk through my front door and slip...

How do I know when to leave [ 10 Answers ]

:( I have been with this man for years and I have been unhappy for about ten but I have been tiring to make it work he has no job we have a six year old son and he has been very mean to me ever since he found out I cheated but the only reason I did was one time with a old friend I knew for years...

Do I really want to leave her? [ 8 Answers ]

I recently broke up with my girlfriend/fiance of one year. Our relationship moved very quickly and we moved in together 4 months after going out for the first time. I honestly thought it was love at first sight. There are a lot of qualities about her that I adore and truly miss; after all, I do...

Should I leave him [ 14 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfreind for 4yrs. I lived with him the first 3 then he kicked me out for hearing I was cheating, which I wasn't and he knows.We have been getting along very well, but every time he gets angry with me for the smallest thing (ex. Calling him more than once when he is out with...

View more questions Search