Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZCCR Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2014, 05:59 AM
    Money or Interest?
    I am a final year undergraduate with a job at one of the Big Four in hand. The company is one I have been looking forward to working in.

There is a MNC heading to my uni for recruitment. They're offering nine times what I have in hand, for being an R&D engineer.

My predicament being: I did not opt for engineering of my own choice, so to me, consultancy is as good as it is going to get. Agreed, there will be some level of tech stuff involved but nothing I cannot handle.

The higher paying firm? Everyone wants me to go for it. I'm unsure if the money will be worth my agony in R&D.

(To put things into perspective, I have been dying to get out of college because processes and instruments and such will drive me nuts.)

Do I pick the job which will give me decent money and satisfaction, or do I go for the astronomical pay? I want to go for the job satisfaction, but a lot of people are making me feel like an oaf. Not sure.

smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2014, 06:53 AM
    Welcome to the adult world when decisions have consiquences we have to live with.

Honestly... both choices have their good points and their bad ones. Also realistically you won't be working for the same employer for life, you will likely move to several over your life. Some by your choice others by there's.

You have to pick the one you can live with. But what I would do... go for the money now... max out your 401K options, and put as much as you can after that in other investments... You will be thanking yourself 20 or 30 years from now due to the wonders of compound interest.

After you have 10+ years experience... and a lot in the bank (basically you have your retirement funded)... THEN you can afford the luxury of a fun job over a high paying job
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 19, 2014, 03:34 PM
    I choose the high paying job after I got out of college and the military. Traveled the world, and had all the cars and houses, that come with success.

I was never happy, personal life never happy,

Also, few people save money, but learn to spend to the new life style, so walking away 10 years later normally means giving up all the "things" you are now used to.

Many people follow the dream of what they want to do, but will also always wonder and wish for more money.

No good choice, but welcome to adult world.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Help With Math- Money and Interest [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm having trouble with some math and would really appreciate some help. I'm on a chapter where I'm learning about interest. Here's the problem: For each of the following (i) find the additional amount you have to pay by hire purchase and (ii) express the additional amount obtained in...

Money & interest [ 1 Answers ]

How do you do interest on principal,rate,time/

Interest and money [ 1 Answers ]

Need help with my math homework it has to do with interest & principal,rate,time

View more questions Search