Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dazar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2006, 07:02 PM
    Ipcop
    Hi. I have just installed Ipcop on a second machine, as a firewall between me and the internet. But I can't go any further. :mad:
    I am VERY!! Frustrated. I know NOTHING about Linux.
    I can access the IPCOP computer, but I can't get to the internet, I don't even know if IPCOP is getting to the net?

a) how can I tell if IPCOP has access to the net?
    And
    b) how do I configure it so that I can surf the net through it?

Can anyone Help?! ANY help will be greatly appreciated. IPCOP is connected by static IP through an ADSL Router.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2006, 12:43 AM
    Where's PSI when you need him...

I think we are a little short of Linux experts on here so I think your best chance is the IPCop support site: http://ipcop.org/modules.php?op=modl...e=IPCopSupport

There is also this site: http://www.ipcops.com

Hope that helps
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jul 6, 2006, 09:04 PM
    dazar,

LTheobald's suggestion is a very good suggestion. I've taken a look at that site and they seem to have a fairly complete documentation though I couldn't exactly find the answers to your question. I don't know IPCOP but I do know Linux and I can make a few suggestions for you as practically all of the Linux implementations operate in pretty much the same way. So here are a few things to check:

You said you have access. Does that mean you have shell access? i.e. can you ssh or telnet to the IPCOP machine and login as root? If so then issue the following commands and report back the output:

- ifconfig -a

This will show you each interface's IP configuration and status (up/down)
    Your external interface should be an IP address given by your DSL/Cable modem. Your internal IP addresses will be 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1, 192.168.3.1, etc depending on the number of interfaces you have.

- netstat -rn

This will show you the current routing table

- ping each of your interfaces by doing something like this:
    Ping 192.168.1.1
    Ping 192.168.2.1 (hit CTRL-C to stop the pings)

- ping the gateway which is found in the output of your netstat command.

If you are successful so far then ping an IP address on the net (4.2.2.1 should return an answer)

Next you need to check to see if your box is configured to route traffic between your internal and external networks. Do this:

Cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4

The output should be 1. If it is 0 then that would explain why your internal network isn't communicating with the outside. To change it permanently to 1 do this:
    Echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4

One more thing that just came to my mind as I was typing all of this... how is your network connected and what type of DSL/Cable modem do you have? It might be that your DSL/Cable modem is providing you with an IP address that IPCOP also wants to use on the inside. Or it might be that your external IP is not recognized/routed by your DSL/Cable modem. Also, check to make sure that the red/green connections are connected to the correct networks.

Hope that helps.

Casey
    dazar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2006, 01:07 AM
    Thanks for the help.
    I gave up trying to get it to work in the end. And installed smoothwall instead. Smoothwall came with all the manuals and everything. :)
    I have an ADSL modem, connected to smoothwall, connected to a switch and my main computer is running off the switch. I'm going to install Kubuntu on my laptop, which will also connect through the switch. That should give me some experience with Linux. :P
    Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to view WEB Cam when IPCOP firewall is there [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I have IPCOP firewall, due to strong fillitering of IP Cop I am not able to view any WEB CAM of our other network, It is always showing the following message "Your behind Firewall". Kindly solve my this problem Regards Raj

View more questions Search