Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quiir Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2013, 07:46 PM
    Gaining Weight Due to Working Out
    I have been working out for about 5 times a week for the past 2 months and have gained more muscle; however, only recently I have started to gain weight as well. I know that muscle is heavier than fat but I have gained 5-6lbs in the last 2 weeks. Is gaining this much weight normal in such a short period considering the amount of muscle I have gained as well?

Additional information:
    - I have only started working out 5 times a week since 2 months age, before that I worked out whenever I could
    - It does not look like I have gained more fat (it actually looks like I lost some)
    - I have been at a constant weight for the past 2 years before this weight gain
    - I didn't gain huge muscles from my workout
    - I don't have any illness and am not on any medication that would affect my weight
    - My diet has not changed
    KenH Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 27, 2013, 09:18 PM
    You listed things that have not changed, but I guarantee that something on that list has changed. If you were strictly replacing fat with muscle, you could expect a pound or two change over your weeks of working out. Think of it this way - if a square foot of muscle weighed 8 lbs, a square foot of fat would only weigh a few more ounces.

Check your sports drink, energy snack, etc. intake since you started working out. You are taking in more calories than you are burning (from something). Nice that you are still looking good and probably feeling much better. But you better figure out the source of the extra calories quickly, because your rate of weight gain is going to catch up with you soon.

One last thing... if you are taking any body-building supplements, it is possible that you have some tainted with steroids, as supplements are not regulated by the FDA. One of those stores (starting with G) was just busted for steroids in their products not long ago. Easy to check that yourself - just stop taking the supplement and continue lifting.
    quiir Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2013, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    You listed things that have not changed, but I guarantee that something on that list has changed. If you were strictly replacing fat with muscle, you could expect a pound or two change over your weeks of working out. Think of it this way - if a square foot of muscle weighed 8 lbs, a square foot of fat would only weigh a few more ounces.

Check your sports drink, energy snack, etc. intake since you started working out. You are taking in more calories than you are burning (from something). Nice that you are still looking good and probably feeling much better. But you better figure out the source of the extra calories quickly, because your rate of weight gain is going to catch up with you soon.

One last thing...if you are taking any body-building supplements, it is possible that you have some tainted with steroids, as supplements are not regulated by the FDA. One of those stores (starting with G) was just busted for steroids in their products not long ago. Easy to check that yourself - just stop taking the supplement and continue lifting.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to watch what I'm eating.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weight gaining [ 1 Answers ]

Can I gain weight within a month..

Gaining Weight? *Not sure if I want to* [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 12, around 5'1-5'2 and am about 46 kilos, about 7 stone 3 pounds. Ever since I watched a program about Britains rising obesity levels on BBC3, I've felt the strange desire to gain weight. I don't know what to do. If I did, I would be worried of what other people would say and think. There...

Gaining weight [ 1 Answers ]

Well I am a bodybuilder and my goal is to reach 70 killos (I am 63 killos) I am well cute and lean, I am happy with my body, but I just need to get these extra 7 killos in order to get the shape that I want, but the problem is that I just can't gain weight, I eat day and night and I never gain a...

Weight gaining [ 2 Answers ]

I am skinny.I am vegetarian.I am just 28Kgs&150cms.I want to gain 7kilograms in two months&some biceps also.please give a useful tip.:(

Gaining weight? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get me pitbull to gain weight?

View more questions Search