Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimfun71 Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Jan 10, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Importing Products
    Has anybody ever imported anything? If so can you please tell me how to get started. I've been to the US Customs site and it is nothing but confusing. It's like they don't want you to figure it out. If anybody can help I would appreciate it. :confused:
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2007, 09:10 PM
    If you find how to do it I would appreciate it if you would let me know
    rysco13 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Are you importing something large or small?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2007, 09:06 PM
    I would like to import several small objects. I might say in quanities of 500 or more. So I am still looking for a source.
    rysco13 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 05:41 AM
    Well, you might want to contact a customs broker/freight forwarder.. they are everywhere. They'll be able to tell you if they can help or point you in the right direction
    liridon shala Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfun71
    Has anybody ever imported anything? If so can you please tell me how to get started. I've been to the US Customs site and it is nothing but confusing. It's like they don't want you to figure it out. If anybody can help I would appreciate it. :confused:
    Firstly I would like to know where do you want to import from??

Secondly, you need to know two components :

Price for unite then you calculate the transport taxes

Then you com up with your added price.

BEFORE you do all this you need to have your firm registred as export-import company in order to import goods from other countries.

I hope I've give a better clue!!
    ROAM Enterprises Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 11:10 AM
    The best way to start doing this is to get with a customs agent or a customs house broker and start asking questions. They can tell you all of the costs that you will have and all the customs fees and tariffs that you can expect. This is something that they do for a living. Do you do your own taxes if you aren't a CPA? No, you use a tax program or a CPA to do them for you. The same should be true when dealing with customs and import issues. Customs agents work off quantity so they don't charge very much at all do do all the work for you, usually just a $75 fee or something like this to file all the paperwork for you. Your customs fees per import should remain fixed, the governmental customs fees and tariffs, etc, will change dependent on product, value, etc... This is not an easy business and will take tons of research and a lot of luck on your behalf. My best piece of advice in the matter: "Do not do it unless you plan on becoming a complete expert in the field." Ask questions, tons of questions, and get everything in writing! If you do this piece of business, you should be the one in here answering these questions within 1 month... lol

Before you do any of this, you first need to do your homework on what you are going to import, from where, why, etc. make a full business plan up. I don't mean to be a Debbie-Downer but remember, there are hundreds of reasons (most of them not known yet by you) why every joe-smoe isn't already doing this regardless of how "tasty" it looks. Without being a complete expert in these matters, you have less then a 1% chance of making anywhere close to what you think you are going to make... lol Even experts in the industry that I know make less than 6%-8% profit in doing what you are trying to do after 5 years, and only on orders over $150K...

Good luck! I hope this helps.
    biuedeer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 02:35 AM
    I am a Chinese exporter.I think I am fimiliar with the import procedure .First ,you shold decided which kinds of goods you want to import ,and then you should registred as export-import company in order to import goods from other countries(some kinds of goods have special rules).And then find the best supplier who can provide you the product with best price(have different price form :FOB ,CIF ,CNF ,different price form decide you and your supply's responsibility) and quality. When you have find the good supplier ,you should take about some details including packing details ,shipping date ,payment terms(usually L/C or T/T) and so on .If the price form is FOB,you should find a forwarder.Many forwarder can also provide you other service .OK,this is the base process,if you want to know more about imporing ,I am very glad to help you .My MSN:[email protected] and my email:[email protected], But , note that I just want to help you no to to sell our goos.Haa...
    tyboy74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 08:23 PM
    biuedeer, I really want to start an import export company also, I'm in the same boat as a lot of the members. Can you explain to me more of what those terminology (FOB, CIF, CNF, LC, TT) means. I've heard about from various people that are doing these business but they never seem to be able to explain to me the exact meaning. Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Aug 1, 2008, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tyboy74
    biuedeer, i really want to start an import export company also, i'm in the same boat as a lot of the members. Can you explain to me more of what those terminology (FOB, CIF, CNF, LC, TT) means. I've heard about from various people that are doing these business but they never seem to be able to explain to me the exact meaning. Thank you very much. I appreciate it.
    Thanks very much for your trust!
    FOB ,CNF ,CIF is the most common price form.
    Fob(port name--in your supplier country ) price---the price including all the fees before loading the goods on the boat,this part cost should be paid your supplier. Then all the fees between the boat starting and your place is paid by your party (mainly including the ocean shipping cost,insurance and so on ).In this price form ,you should find the forwarder by yourself . It's much better for you to choose this form. Because the good possession rights is only standed for by B/L which is issued by the forwarder. Who have the B/L ,the goods belongs to who. So ,when you control the forwarder means you control the B/L in some point.

Aug 1, 2008, 11:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by biuedeer
    Thanks very much for your trust!
    FOB ,CNF ,CIF is the most common price form.
    Fob(port name--in your supplier country ) price---the price including all the fees before loading the goods on the boat,this part cost should be paid your supplier. Then all the fees between the boat starting and your place is paid by your party (mainly including the ocean shipping cost,insurance and so on ).In this price form ,you should find the forwarder by yourself . It's much better for you to choose this form. Because the good possession rights is only standed for by B/L which is issued by the forwarder. Who have the B/L ,the goods belongs to who. So ,when you control the forwarder means you control the B/L in some point.
    continue:

CNF (port name--in your country ) price---= FOB price +the ocean shipping cost, usually the supplier find the forwarder

CIF (port name--in your country ) price---= CNF+insurance , usually the supplier find the forwarder

T/T is the payments terms, when pay the money to the supplier by electrical. Usually 30% in advance as the deposit ,and the balance 70% against the copy of the B/L ,and so on .(depend on your negotiation with your supplier )

L/C is the saftest pay terms for both sides ,but much expenses arise in the bank . This payments means that the final direct payer is bank ,not the buyer. Of course ,the money is buy's . Under this payments terms , the L/C the only rules of paying . When the supplier submit all the documents and fulfil their duty strictly according to L/C articles . The articles are negotiated by your party and your supplier.

Also have the D/P ,D/A parments terms , but it's not accepted by the supplier for the first order or unfamouse buyer. Because ,it's not safe enough for them.

I hope my above information will help you in some way! If need further information, contact me at below clues :
    My email : [email protected] and my MSN: [email protected]
    shavonni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 01:21 AM
    Helloi am a importer if you would like some help I can helpyou whatis it you need to know I import from India Shavonni
    ArielXu Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfun71 View Post
    I have looked through the thread, and found that some good answers are there.

It's better that you make a full plan of importing firstly, which includes the where you import, what you import , and how you import.

Then get the importing information or licence from the USA customs secondly. It is something about ihow you can mport goods.

Thirdly, look for the goods you would like to import from the right country.

Fourthly, the business things like FOB, CIF and CFR and so on. Always, there are the details about the goods, such as the price, the quality and the lead time and so on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Importing from China [ 2 Answers ]

Hai All, I am new to this site and I am in a confused state. I want to import goods from China to India for our company purposes. I am unable to claculate the Shipping charges that need to paid while importing. Please help me in matter. Will there be any other charges. Regards, Pavan

Importing goods [ 2 Answers ]

I am curious if anyone here knows the process of importing goods into the US. I have a contact in the Philippines to supply the goods I am selling. I know that typically a business would need to find a customs broker and purchase customs bonds and pay duties/taxes on the imported goods, however,...

Importing email messages [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, can anyone tell me how to import incredimail messages to outlook express? Thank you

Importing complex delimited text [ 1 Answers ]

I get a daily email message that looks like this?? (abbreiviated): (MESSAGE 1) AOCDX/PP/TS/312 1756Z// OPSID/DTR//12345/NOTHING HERE/ ACTI/12/ROUND ABOUT INFORMATION/ COMTECT/123.987MHZ/W9ASG3546/KJDFKAJSDFKD/ RMKS/ THIS IS JUST A REMARK/ LOC/11232E 112344S/ DATETIME/ 1234Z MAR 03//

View more questions Search