Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2010, 03:26 PM
    Kenmore electric dryer motor replaced now heat won't work
    I have a Kenmore 80 series electric dryer. It would quit in the middle of the cycle and I realized the motor was going out. I took the dryer apart and replaced the motor with a new one. I put it back together and the dryer works great except now it won't heat. The heat worked just fine before replacing the motor. Any idea what I may have done while replacing the motor that would have affected the heating element or the aspects of that? Not sure where to begin. It worked just fine before replacing the motor.

Thanks,
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 23, 2010, 05:04 AM
    The wires for the motor usually go to a motor start (safety) switch that is attached directly to the motor itself. The new motor you got had a new one attached to it from the factory. This motor start(safety) switch actually does a few different things but one of them is it acts as a safety switch. If the motor is not turning it will not allow the heat element to come on. In other words if you wired the motor incorrectly the switch you wired to at the motor will not activate the heater when the motor comes on. See this link.

http://www.applianceaid.com/test_with_ohmmeter.html

Nov 23, 2010, 06:47 AM
    The only wires going to the motor are all in one clip that was just popped off and then put back in on the new motor. Wasn't really any wires to mess up?

Nov 23, 2010, 09:36 AM
    Images of what I am working with
    I have attached photos of the old and new motors as well as the wiring harness and the instructions provided with the new motor. I really can't understand them though. Do I need to make any changes on the wiring before installing the new motor? Does this indicate why my heat does not work now?

Thanks,
    Attached Images

hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 23, 2010, 12:14 PM
    It looks like it is time for you to get your electric meter out and start testing the circuits until you find the one that is not allowing the current to flow to the heater OR it could be the heater itself. ONLY proper testing will find the problem and I cannot do the testing from here. Sorry.

Nov 23, 2010, 05:59 PM
    Electrical checks
    Ok, can you treat me like a child on this one and explain the electrical tests to me? I have attached some pictures. One of them shows the fuse and cut-off I think. One shows one of the two different connections to the heating element itself. The last shows the meter I have. Can you tell me what to set it on and how to use it in each location to be tested?
    Attached Images

Nov 24, 2010, 01:16 PM
    I have checked a few things. If I pull the wires off the items pictured, I still have continuity through the white thing with blue wires and the black thing with the red wires. I do not have continuity through the white thing on the actual heating element. Not sure if there should be or not. I have 220 coming into the machine at the main terminals but I only read 110 in the red wires entering the element. Does this get me any closer? Thanks again,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Electric Dryer - No Heat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Heavy Duty (electric) dryer that has no heat even though running. I had the heating element thermal cutoff replaced last year when I had a similar situation. Not sure what the possible cause may be this time around. Any suggestions please.

Kenmore dryer would not heat. Replaced element. Fine. Now it will not turn on. [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore model 110-62202100 dryer. It would not heat. I replaced the element and it worked fine for one load. Now it will not turn on. I read that this could be the relay or the switch. How do I tell? Thanks, Collin

I have a Kenmore electric dryer that does not heat [ 0 Answers ]

I tried to by pass the thermal fuse, still no heat, then I change the heat element still no heat??

Kenmore Electric dryer does not heat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Electric dryer (model# 110.63952102). The dryer runs without heat. The relay seems fine. I would like to check the heat element and I saw it located on the right side from the front panel. How can I take it out and how do check it? Thanks

Kenmore Elite Electric Dryer Does Not Heat Up [ 1 Answers ]

My Kenmore electric dryer does not heat up like it should. The dryer gets warm and eventually dries the clothes, but it's taking 3 times as long.

View more questions Search