Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vm_oldbones Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2011, 07:58 AM
    SET PATH command to be entered every time I open the Command Prompt
    Dear all,

I use WinXP SP3 Pro. I have a directory, C:\XEDIT, in which I have DOS programs, among them FULIST.

In AUTOEXEC.NT, I added "SET PATH=C:\XEDIT\;".

When I open the Command Prompt window in a directory, say C:\DATA, and enter FULIST, I get the error message "Fulist is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

I must enter SET PATH=C:\XEDIT\ on the command line, and FULIST works.

Every time I close the Command Prompt and re-open it, I must re-enter the SET PATH command.

How can I have the SET PATH activated for good when starting XP?

Thank you,

Phil
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Feb 11, 2011, 11:13 AM

Setting the PATH environment variable per user account or per system via the Control Panel > System Applet > Advanced Tab > Environment Variables Button has always worked for me.

Including a path in autoexec.bat located in the drive root seems to work too.
    vm_oldbones Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2011, 10:58 AM
    Scleros, did as you said, seems to work for me too now. Thank you very so much for your help!

Phil

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DOS set PATH command [ 2 Answers ]

I used set PATH command to set the path as set PATH=c:/TC;and it works well However,some users adds %PATH% after it, what does it imply

Command prompt [ 4 Answers ]

I have looked into the windows/system32 folder and the files ftp, ipconfig, ping are there... why is the command prompt not recognising these commands then? Could someone give me some input to get these commands working in my command prompt?

Command Prompt(Media Disconnected) [ 4 Answers ]

I have already set up my Administrator username and password, but each time I type ipconfig/release or anything else, it says "Media Disconnected". What must/can I do to fix this problem? Please help.

Problem loading command prompt. [ 3 Answers ]

I am running windows XP and I have a problem loading a command prompt to change my IP address. When I went to start and clicked run, I typed in cmd and the black prompt came up but then disappeared. Is there any other way to open a prompt and/or change my IP address?

How to Copy the contents in command prompt? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have given a command in command prompt (say ant) and then it will be executing the files. My question is how to copy that which is in command prompt to a file say notepad. While I am running autobuilder\ant, it will be showing all that in command prompt and the process takes hours. I want...

View more questions Search