Ask
    sherisue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2006, 09:32 PM
    Add a name to a home deed
    How do I add my daughters name to the deed on my home
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2006, 09:58 PM
    First why do you want to? Does your daughter have or could she have money problems where they could put a lien on your home because of her debts

Have you considered possible tax issues in such a transfer if any.

If you have reviewed all of this, a title company can do the addition, a paralegal ( if your state allows them to do this) can, you can do it yourself online from varoius legal forms sites, even buy the forms and do it yourself.

But knowing why you are, and what you want to achieve in doing this. Is the most important, if you have not reviewed all of this then you may well need to discuss this with an attorney first
    PAT EALY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sherisue
    How do I add my daughters name to the deed on my home
    If there is a judgement on property can you add a name
    hmcglynn Posts: 31, Reputation: 7

Oct 13, 2007, 11:32 AM
    You can add names to the property even if it has judgments... if you do it yourself which I would not recommend because you'll still have to deal with it down the road and it would only make it more complicated to sell.
    If a title company or attorney is completing a search and is issuing title insurance they will put it on the policy on the exceptions page, that your taking title to the property SUBJECT To The Judgment and they will list the O.R. Book and Page.
    If there is a mortgage on the property the lender will not allow the subject to on the exceptions page of the policy, they will require that the judgment be paid off.

In some states laws may vary, but in Florida when the judgment is against one spouse and not the other the judgment does not have to be paid at closing... say when you refinance or purchase more property, only if it attached to their NAME.

So again the answer to your question YES you can add a name to the property that has a judgment on it... but I'm not quite sure why one would want to do this.
    princesslea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 04:17 PM
    How do my husband and I add my name on the deed to our house it's been in his name only and we're almost done paying it off we want to make sure that I anything happen I'm on it.
    princesslea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 04:17 PM
    How do my husband and I add my name on the deed to our house it's been in his name only and we're almost done paying it off we want to make sure that I anything happen I'm on it.
    khaskheli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2011, 04:05 AM
    Name
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2011, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by khaskheli View Post
    name

We are not mindreaders. "Name" is not a question.
    CHAWLATS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 01:33 PM
    My house is located in fairfax county in virginia.. i want to add my daughter's name to the deed so that after my death she will have no problem when she will sell the house
    CHAWLATS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 01:35 PM
    How can i add my dauther's name to my house deed. My house is located in fairfax va county in zip code 22015
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 14, 2011, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAWLATS View Post
    MY HOUSE IS LOCATED IN FAIRFAX COUNTY IN VIRGINIA..I WANT TO ADD MY DAUGHTER'S NAME TO THE DEED SO THAT AFTER MY DEATH SHE WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM WHEN SHE WILL SELL THE HOUSE
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAWLATS View Post
    HOW CAN I ADD MY DAUTHER'S NAME TO MY HOUSE DEED. MY HOUSE IS LOCATED IN FAIRFAX VA COUNTY IN ZIP CODE 22015
    No need to "shout". Please don't use the "Cap Lock" key.

And, also, you should start a new thread for a new question, even if your question seems to be similar to someone else's.

The answer to you question is found in this "sticky" thread.

I don't think you really want to write your daughter's name on the deed you received from whomever sold the property to you. One changes title to real property by executing a new deed.

What you want to do is to sign a new deed, probably from yourself to you and your daughter as joint tenants with right of survivorship. That way, if you die first, the property automatically becomes hers.
    shines02 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2012, 04:53 PM
    My wife died. I want to add my daughter to the deed. What should I do.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 06:10 AM
    Is there a mortgage?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to add spouses name to deed on house... [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know how to go about adding my name to the deed of our house. Who would I see... realtor, title company... and what forms do we need to fill out?

Add my husband to the deed of my house [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know how I can add my husband to the deed of my house. Thanks, Judy

How do I add my name to my moms deed [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this,, I would like to know how should go about adding my name to the deed of my moms house, she has cancer and she is not doing well at all I live with her, but my name is not on the deed, and we still have a..

How to add spouse's name to deed on house [ 3 Answers ]

How do I go about adding my name to the deed on my home? It is only in my husbands name. We moved in the house together 28 years ago. We have been married 26 years. The house is paid for.

Add my husbands name to my home [ 1 Answers ]

Do I use a Quit Deed Claim to add my husbands name to my home?

View more questions Search