Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dalla Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2004, 10:17 AM
    Another leaky shower drain
    Hi! A few weeks after moving into our (12 year old) house, we noticed moisture coming through the ceiling. The upstairs shower is right above the wet spot. We called our warranty company, and they sent out a technician who said that it was the shower drain, which has a crack in it (but of course, he said that it wasn't covered by the warranty due to some fine print or other.)

I found the plumb-rite website and ordered their wing-tite drain, in the hopes that we could fix this ourselves. Sadly, I've already run into a problem: I can't figure out how to remove my current drain, and to my inexperienced eye, it doesn't look like either of the two drain varieties pictured in the wing-tite instructions for old drain removal. I can't see anything that looks like the gaskets pictured in the instructions, or anything that I could remove, other than just the whole drain itself.

I am hoping that someone here might be able to take a look and tell me what I need to do to remove this:

photo of my drain

another angle

one last drain photo

Thanks so much for taking a look--I looked through some of the past shower drain posts to try to avoid wasting anyone's time, but I didn't see anything that would answer my question.

--Dalla
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 12, 2004, 11:45 AM
    Leaky shower drain
    Hey Dalla,
    I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it looks like the stubup's glued into the drain. Unless you can see the "O" ring pictured in WingTites illustration and can pull it up and out with a pair of needle nosed pliers. You are faced with two options, none of them good. Ya don't get this from the top, pilgrim.
    Option #1-- Cut a hole under the trap and cut the stubup off about 1 1/4" from the top of the trap. You may now unscrew the large nut and lift the drain and old stubup out. Now take PVC Primer and glue in a DWV coupling and a piece of PVC to replace the stub up. You may now install the WingTite according to instructions.
    Option #2-- If you don't wish to open up under the trap you can rent a pair of PVC inside cutters and cut the stubup from the inside. Now follow the removal directions found on the right hand side of the instruction sheet. After you get the drain out in pieces the nut will fall down on the trap and stay there.
    Now take PVC Primer and glue in a DWV coupling and a piece of PVC to replace the stub up. You may now install the WingTite according to instructions.

I realize that the above may sound complicated and too much like major surgery so let me give you a "Hail Mary" third option.
    Purchase a tube of clear silicon jell, CAREFULLY dry everything up, including the inside of the crack, (use a hair dryer) and fill the crack and ALL PLACES that you think might leak and let it set over night to set up.
    Next day to check your work jam wet rags into the drain so it holds water and run a inch of water in the shower pan. If you do not see fresh moisture then your leak has been repaired without changing the drain.

Mind you! Option 1 & 2 are the best solution but I figured after reading what a hassle they are you would at least wish to know that there is a option #3. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply. Tom
    Dalla Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2004, 01:15 PM
    Speedball, thank you for your quick reply. I figured the news wouldn't be good, since I couldn't see the O ring. Oh well.

I guess I'll try the silicone option, and if that fails I'll get a plumber to do it. Those first two options sound a bit too complicated for a plumbing novice like myself.

Now I wish I hadn't bought the wingtite--I wonder if I can sell it on eBay? ;)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 12, 2004, 01:32 PM
    Leaky shower drain
    Why not save it until you know if you'll need a plumber. If he has to change out the drain you will have a replacement handy. Regards\, Tom
    oldtgeezer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2004, 08:01 PM
    Wing Tite Shower drain.
    Della,
    If you do not use the shower adapter, I may be interested in purchasing it if the price and shipping is right.
    Jim Mead
    Washington State

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky kitchen drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My kitchen sink drain pipe leaks where the black U-shaped (p-trap?) screws onto the straight pipe from the sink. I've read that there is supposed to be a plastic ring or fitting that goes between the two pipes inside, and then plumbers tape on the threads where it screws together. Is...

Leaky shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, what do I use to seal the drain in a stand up shower? Caulk? Silicone? Will I be able to use the shower the next day? Thank you

Leaky drain pipe from shower and sink [ 1 Answers ]

The drain pipe from bathroom sink and shower is leaking through the ceiling into the kitchen below. Can this pipe be replaced without breaking through bathroom floor?

Leaky Shower [ 2 Answers ]

I have a single handle shower. The brand is Kohler devonshire. It drips constantly. I have no idea how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated Rich

40 year old leaky shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I've looked at all the other leaky shower drain posts which all seem to be pvc piping. What a great service this is! This is a second story shower with hard wood underneath so I can't see the pipes. A local plumber showed me this after he cut a hole in my ceiling and charged me $50 and...

View more questions Search