Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hondo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Drum won't turn on Whirlpool Dryer #LCG6848AQ1
    I have a whirlpool gas dryer and the drum doesn't spin/turn on it. The blower motor works (I got a face full of lint to prove it) and I don't know if it's a separate motor that turns the drum. I started pulling the back off it and it looks like the belt is still on the drum. The door switch seems to work because it shuts the blower motor down when I open it. This dryer is about 11 years old. Any hints? I'm going to look at it again to see if I can get the front of the dryer panel off (below the door) but on first inspection it didn't look like it came off. The drum can be turned by hand. The start button works (at least for the blower) the timer works. It just doesn't spin the drum. No odd smells or noises.
    UPDATE: Found the broken belt, so that's the problem. But how do I get the new one on? The top of the dryer opens but I don't see that the lower part of the front opens as the top did. And what I thought was the belt (at the back of the drum) is apparently a seal that goes around the drum. I still can't believe how tiny that belt is. I'm surprised it didn't break long ago.
    mmferguson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 09:49 AM
    I have the same problem with a whirlpool dryer as another reader. I have the broken belt
    But am wondering how to replace it with a new one. Help
    mmferguson
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Mar 12, 2007, 08:00 PM
    You have to take the top off... 2 screws, under the lint filter. Then thin bladed putty knife, about 1-2 in from the sides, push in, lift, tilts back.

2 screws, hold on the front, tilts down, drum kind of falls out. If you're mechanically inclined, you'll figure it out from there.

If not, let us know we can talk you through some more. Look on web, exploded diagrams, use your model number in the search on Google.

Belt wraps around the drum, and a spring-loaded tensioner to keep it tight.

Make sure the unit is unplugged before you start, :).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool Dryer Keeps Shutting Off [ 11 Answers ]

My electric Whirlpool dryer is 4 years old, model # GEQ9858JQ0. The dryer shuts off intermittently, running for a minute or more at times. Starts right back up when turned back on. Sometimes it'll shut off 5 times in a row then run for the whole 45 minutes when turned back on again. I thought...

Whirlpool Dryer won't turn on [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool dryer (model #LGR7646EQ2) that got a tennis show caught in between the drum and the door. I heard the shoe thumping, then the dryer stopped. I removed the tennis shoe, but the dryer won't start back up. I can turn the drum by hand, but the start button won't turn it on. ...

Design of a vapor-liquid separator (or flash drum, or knockout drum) [ 2 Answers ]

A vapor-liquid separator drum is a vertical vessel into which a liquid and vapor mixture (or a flashing liquid) is fed and wherein the liquid is separated by gravity, falls to the bottom of the vessel, and is withdrawn. The vapor travels upward at a design velocity which minimizes the entrainment...

Whirlpool dryer drum won't turn, with burning smell [ 1 Answers ]

My Whirlpool dryer drum won't turn, after I set the setting and close the door, and there is a strong burning smell at that time. It is only about 2 1/2 yrs old. Any ideas? Thanks, Cindy

Whirlpool Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool dryer which has stopped spinning, the motor still runs, and it still heats up. I would like to try and figure out what is wrong with it. The model number is #LER7646DQ0.

View more questions Search