Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsorrowjr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 07:12 PM
    91 Honda Accord "s" light/shifting problems
    I have a 91 honda accord lx. The "s" light constantly blinks and the car shifts from 1st to 3rd so I don't have 2nd or 4th unless I put it in manually. The TCU gave me error codes 7 and 15. I removed the TCU and looked at the circuit board and there was corrosion. I ordered a rebuilt one and installed it today but it didn'y fix the problem. My speedometer also occasionally goes down to zero when I'm driving and my radio sometimes will not come on when I start the car. Could it be me ECU? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2007, 08:40 PM
    1. Check all under-hood and under-dash fuses with a test light or multimeter.
    2. Clean main VSS/ECM ground on the thermostat housing.
    3. If the odometer and trip meter work but speedometer does not, then the problem could reside with the speedometer or the printed circuit board.
    4. Check Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).

Make sure your transmission fluid has been recently changed. You might also want to look into AutoRxing your transmission, if you think it's not too far gone and that it might have developed varnish or sludge. I recommend synthetic ATF for healthy transmissions. The benefits are numerous.
    Gus_gus1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 04:34 PM
    Hi my honda 1991 is getting in problems when its raining or my car pass where water on the road and it splashed with front tires or environment is humedity then sudenly turn on sensitively highly the "S" on dash board I can used the car without making automatic changes gear for a couples of days but later on when wheter is beter sudenly it come up regular sincronized gear changes, when I run my car under irregular operation conditions rise to example 2800 to 3000 RPM at maybe 45 Mi/hr, when normaly is 2500 rpm and gas gone over fastest, do you think could be some sensor problems like mayve ruber boots damage and where is this located ? Thanks a lot
    Larrley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 07:43 PM
    My brothers accord has the 's' (sport) light that keeps blinking also.. What I did was opened up the tcu(transmisson control unit) and resolder a new capacitor on. The original capacitor burned out and caused the tranny to go into safe mode. This is how I fixed my problem, hope it helps.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2012, 05:57 AM
    Larrley, good job. Leaking capacitors on older Honda TCUs and ECMs are common problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"S" Light is on 1991 Honda Accord EX [ 6 Answers ]

I Have A 1991 Honda Accord. Over the last month or so, it will put itself Into "sports Drive." The "S" light on the dash goes on, and it switches to this drive, which revs at higher RPMs (5000 if running 60MPH). How do I fix this? Thanks For Any Help You Can Give

91 Honda Accord "stuck" In Sports Drive [ 2 Answers ]

I Have A 1991 Honda Accord. Over the last month or so, it will put itself Into "sports Drive." The "S" light on the dash goes on, and it switches to this drive, which revs at higher RPMs. It Seems Like This Might Be Some Kind Of Protective Mechanism By The Car. Sometimes I Can Get It Back...

95 Honda Civic "Check Engine" Light [ 15 Answers ]

Hi. Was driving my 95 Honda Civic LX (115000 miles) to work this morning when the Check Engine light came on. Car was not overheating, no obvious problem, oil level fine. Ran all day with no further problem indications, but the Check Engine light stayed on. What is the possible problems?? Note...

98 honda accord audio "CODE e" [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the battery on my Honda. Well the audio system disengaged and required a 5 digit code to reset. I obtained this code from the dealer. I entered the 5 digit code and nothing happens except shows "CODE e". The manual has little to say about this.. Anyone know?

View more questions Search