Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gamblermike Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 04:42 PM
    I am inquiring as to whether a 401K account is still active after 6 years, even though I haven't put anything into it. If so, how do I go about inquiring how to get that money out of that account. The company I worked for has been sold to UPS and now I don't know how to get information on my old 401K. Please respond as I don't know how to handle this. Thank You, Michael Montroy
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 31, 2006, 06:06 PM
    You should have of course received your 401 K info when you got the plan with the plan administor on it, So I will assume you did not keep any of your paper work.

I would start with the UPS human resourse department which should be able to help you.

Nov 1, 2006, 05:59 AM
    Thank You Father Chuck, I will inquire with the UPS resource dept. today. I appreciate that you responded to my question. Mike M.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 1, 2006, 07:42 AM
    By law, an administrator of a 401K is required to send you periodic statements. You should be getting the statements at the same time as active participants. If you haven't gotten at least annual statements, you need to follow up on this immediately. A 401K remains active until or unless the money is escheated to the state after a period of non contact.

Have you moved since you left the company? Did you find another job?

Nov 1, 2006, 09:48 AM
    I have called UPS and the IRS, and neither have any records from and 401K being sent from my past employer. My retirement went to UPS, but not the 401K. I don't understand this. I had to quit my job because of back surgery that went bad and they wouldn't let me drive semi while walking with a cane. I have to use a cane for the rest of my life, so I went on disability. Now that I want to cash in on my 401K, I find that no one has it or heard of me or my records. Thanks for the advise. Mike M.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2006, 10:42 AM
    Look on your previous years tax record where you put mony into your 401K,
    You would have received a notice that you used to deduct the money you used as your deduction for the money you put into the 401K

Normaly and every plan is different, the 401K money that you put in should be yours, but money they matched would not be yours till it is vested by a certain number of years in service.

Now of course if you retired, and they company closed could they have?
    1. rolled the 401K over into the retirement, since that is what a 401 K account is anyway, a retirement account.
    2. If they company closed or went bankrupt ( did not say how UPS bought them out) if the accounts were attacked to company assest could they have been lost.
    3. They were not invested in Enron by any chance that lost everyone's money. ( I lost almost all my retirement though that deal)

And lastly if you don't mind posting it, tell us the name and type of company you worked for, some of our people may know more specific info or can research that specific details.

Do you know any of your old work friends, who still work for UPS now, that may still have one of the old 401 accounts?

Nov 1, 2006, 10:48 AM
    As I said, you should have gotten periodic statements from your company. You need to find at least the last of those statements to help find the account. Previous paystubs that show the deduction might also help.

It's a shame you waited so long, but they should be able to find it. You need to go higher up in UPS. They have to be able to find the records from the company you worked for.

Nov 1, 2006, 01:22 PM
    The only thing I have is an old pay stub which shows they took out money for the 401K, but that is from 1999. Like I said, UPS and the IRS doesn't show any record of any of my deductions. I don't know if they were with Enron or not. My old company was Overnite Transportation Co. out of Richmond, Virginia. It was bought out by UPS in 2002. I worked in the Romulus, Mi. yard. I can't go on their property as I had to sue them to get my settlement from them in 2001. Any drivers that were there in 1999, are now in different yards across the East Coast that have UPS services. I appreciate any help that you can give me. Mike M.

Nov 1, 2006, 02:18 PM
    Something smells here. Is it that you no longer have the records or you never got your periodic statements?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 401k with less than a $1,000 in it. I wanted to know what the taxes would be? I quit that job and need to get it out. I need to know if I should transfer it of take it out?

401k [ 2 Answers ]

I WAS JUST WONDERING ABOUT HOW $ MONEY IS TAKEN OUT, WHEN YOU TAKE OUT ALL THE MONEY?:D I NEED TO CLOSE IT BECAUSE NO MORE MONEY IS BEING INVESTED IN TO IT.:eek: I GOT IT BECUASE THE COPANY I USE TO WORK FOR OFFERED IT TO ME BUT I DO NOT WANT IT ANY MORE. HOW DO I KNOW HOW MUCH WILL BE GONE?

401k [ 3 Answers ]

I was listening to a Suzi Orman program where she is now saying, unless the employer offers a 40lK company match, do not contribute to a 40lK. The reason? The tax rates today are much less then they were 10,15,20 years ago. My company does not match, however I contribute 15% of my salary. I...

401k [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was laid of from his job due to downsizing last April. He had been with the company for a little over 4.5 years. We recently received notification that the company had taken back their matched contributions to his 401K leaving only his contributions. Is this legal? Is there any...

View more questions Search